From: Joel Schopp on

> The time of 80 characters punch card and terminals are over, so i would
> be a good thing to set the line length limit to 120. Every display today
> should be able handle this.

Nack.

While the origins of 80 character lines dates back to punchcards there
is a reason it has survived the test of time. Lines that go longer are
hard to comprehend. Either they are long themselves, in which case
breaking them up into smaller chunks on multiple lines helps
readability, or they are starting from deep indentation, in which case
the function should be refactored or broken up so the logic is more
digestable.
From: David Daney on
Joel Schopp wrote:

>> The time of 80 characters punch card and terminals are over, so i would
>> be a good thing to set the line length limit to 120. Every display today
>> should be able handle this.
> Nack.
>
> While the origins of 80 character lines dates back to punchcards there
> is a reason it has survived the test of time.

Has it though? If that were the undisputed truth, we wouldn't be having
this discussion. Also it is likely that there would be very few devices
capable of displaying more than 80 columns.

> Lines that go longer are hard to comprehend.

Not universally.

> Either they are long themselves, in which case
> breaking them up into smaller chunks on multiple lines helps
> readability,

.... Or sometimes it results in gibberish.

> or they are starting from deep indentation, in which case
> the function should be refactored or broken up so the logic is more
> digestable. --

The problem with the checkpatch.pl tool is that its use results in
people trying to eliminate warnings. In the case of the 80 column
warning, this can result in going against the goal stated in CodingStyle
Chapter 2: "Coding style is all about readability and maintainability..."

Perhaps checkpatch.pl needs a third level of diagnostic. Perhaps:

NOTICE: line over 80 characters

Indicating that the line in question should be given extra attention,
but weaker than a WARNING.

In any event, it is always fun to discuss these questions of style.

David Daney

From: Joel Schopp on

>> While the origins of 80 character lines dates back to punchcards
>> there is a reason it has survived the test of time.
>
> Has it though? If that were the undisputed truth, we wouldn't be
> having this discussion.

If you know of a usability study that quantifies the effect of line
length on readibility of C code I'm willing to listen, and I'm sure
others are too.
From: David Daney on
Joel Schopp wrote:

>>> While the origins of 80 character lines dates back to punchcards
>>> there is a reason it has survived the test of time.
>>
>> Has it though? If that were the undisputed truth, we wouldn't be
>> having this discussion.
>
> If you know of a usability study that quantifies the effect of line
> length on readibility of C code I'm willing to listen, and I'm sure
> others are too.

Good point. As with most things related to kernel development, a
usability study or other market research from a reputable institution is
a vital first step before taking any action.

We don't have any good peer reviewed research on the subject that I am
aware of. I guess even contemplating a change at this early point would
be rash and dangerous.

I withdraw my previous comments with respect to the 80 Column Question.
Instead I would recommend elevating the WARNING to ERROR status.

David Daney
From: Stefani Seibold on
Am Mittwoch, den 27.01.2010, 14:31 -0600 schrieb Joel Schopp:

> >> While the origins of 80 character lines dates back to punchcards
> >> there is a reason it has survived the test of time.
> >
> > Has it though? If that were the undisputed truth, we wouldn't be
> > having this discussion.
>
> If you know of a usability study that quantifies the effect of line
> length on readibility of C code I'm willing to listen, and I'm sure
> others are too.

Show me the usability study with claims that 80 columns is the wisdom in
software engineering. Why not 73, 90 or 95? The only reason for the 80
columns is a historic one.

And the programming rules for linux doesn't manifest the 80 character
per line.

Code will get in many cases harder to read, especially together with the
tab size of 8. Multiline C statements makes the code IMHO harder to
read.

Stefani