From: Dodo on
Hi all,
Under python 2.6, chr() "Return a string of one character whose ASCII
code is the integer i." (quoted from docs.python.org)
Under python 3.1, chr() "Return the string of one character whose
Unicode codepoint is the integer i."

I want to convert a ASCII code back to a character under python 3, not
Unicode.

How can I do that?

Dorian
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
On 26.04.2010 22:12, * Dodo:
> Hi all,
> Under python 2.6, chr() "Return a string of one character whose ASCII
> code is the integer i." (quoted from docs.python.org)
> Under python 3.1, chr() "Return the string of one character whose
> Unicode codepoint is the integer i."
>
> I want to convert a ASCII code back to a character under python 3, not
> Unicode.
>
> How can I do that?

Just use chr().

ASCII (7-bit) is a subset of ISO Latin-1 (7-bit), which is a subset of Unicode's
Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP, original Unicode, 16-bit) which is a subset of
Unicode (21-bit).

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
From: Dodo on
Le 26/04/2010 22:26, Alf P. Steinbach a �crit :
> On 26.04.2010 22:12, * Dodo:
>> Hi all,
>> Under python 2.6, chr() "Return a string of one character whose ASCII
>> code is the integer i." (quoted from docs.python.org)
>> Under python 3.1, chr() "Return the string of one character whose
>> Unicode codepoint is the integer i."
>>
>> I want to convert a ASCII code back to a character under python 3, not
>> Unicode.
>>
>> How can I do that?
>
> Just use chr().
>
> ASCII (7-bit) is a subset of ISO Latin-1 (7-bit), which is a subset of
> Unicode's Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP, original Unicode, 16-bit) which
> is a subset of Unicode (21-bit).
>

> Cheers & hth.,
>
> - Alf

Oh, I see... thanks

* just realize the problem doesn't come from here *
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
On 26.04.2010 22:26, * Dodo:
> Le 26/04/2010 22:26, Alf P. Steinbach a �crit :
>> On 26.04.2010 22:12, * Dodo:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Under python 2.6, chr() "Return a string of one character whose ASCII
>>> code is the integer i." (quoted from docs.python.org)
>>> Under python 3.1, chr() "Return the string of one character whose
>>> Unicode codepoint is the integer i."
>>>
>>> I want to convert a ASCII code back to a character under python 3, not
>>> Unicode.
>>>
>>> How can I do that?
>>
>> Just use chr().
>>
>> ASCII (7-bit) is a subset of ISO Latin-1 (7-bit), which is a subset of
>> Unicode's Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP, original Unicode, 16-bit) which
>> is a subset of Unicode (21-bit).
>>

>> Cheers & hth.,
>>
>> - Alf
>
> Oh, I see... thanks
>
> * just realize the problem doesn't come from here *

Uhm, I meant to write that ISO Latin-1 is 8-bit. Sorry. Keyboard gremlin.

Cheers,

- Alf

From: Antoine Pitrou on
Le Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:26:28 +0200, Alf P. Steinbach a écrit :
> On 26.04.2010 22:12, * Dodo:
>> Hi all,
>> Under python 2.6, chr() "Return a string of one character whose ASCII
>> code is the integer i." (quoted from docs.python.org) Under python 3.1,
>> chr() "Return the string of one character whose Unicode codepoint is
>> the integer i."
>>
>> I want to convert a ASCII code back to a character under python 3, not
>> Unicode.
>>
>> How can I do that?
>
> Just use chr().

Or, if you want a bytes object, just use the bytes constructor:

>>> bytes([65])
b'A'

Regards

Antoine.