From: Paul Griffioen on
Hi everybody

I've finally found some time to wrap up my clTcl package. See http://
www.cliki.net/clTcl.

The clTcl package provides an interface to Tcl/Tk via embedded scripts.
It is similar to lisp2wish but more robust. It might be useful if you
don't mind working with old-fashioned technology.

Any feedback is welcome.

Paul
From: Rob Warnock on
Paul Griffioen <prg(a)upcmail.nl> wrote:
+---------------
| I've finally found some time to wrap up my clTcl package. See http://
| www.cliki.net/clTcl.
|
| The clTcl package provides an interface to Tcl/Tk via embedded scripts.
| It is similar to lisp2wish but more robust. It might be useful if you
| don't mind working with old-fashioned technology.
|
| Any feedback is welcome.
+---------------

What are the advantages/disadvantages versus Ltk [2003 ff]?

http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/

Hmmm... From your "Hello World" example, I see one major difference
already. clTcl requires that the Lisp user explicitly manipulate
Tcl source:

(cltcl:event-loop
#TCL[package require Tk
wm protocol . WM_DELETE_WINDOW {exit}
label .message -text "Hello World!"
pack .message])

whereas Ltk is much more "Lisp-y":

(ltk:with-ltk ()
(let ((m (make-instance 'ltk:label :text "Hello, World!")))
(ltk:pack m)))

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3(a)rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

From: Paul Griffioen on
Ltk is indeed more Lisp-y. It offers a nice wrapper so you can stick to
Lisp.

clTcl is more general. You can use any Tcl/Tk lib, not just the ones that
Ltk has a wrapper for.

I suspect that clTcl is also better synchronized with Tcl/Tk's events. I
don't know the latest version of Ltk, but if I remember correctly it had
some problems with error handling. Calls in clTcl block and catch errors.

Paul

From: Peter Herth on
Paul Griffioen schrieb:

> I suspect that clTcl is also better synchronized with Tcl/Tk's events. I
> don't know the latest version of Ltk, but if I remember correctly it had
> some problems with error handling. Calls in clTcl block and catch errors.

I would be interested in what you mean by "better synchronized"? Those
calls in LTk which are supposed to block on Tcl do so, and error
handling is also working. I have to admit though, I really have to
make a new release to ensure all LTk users use the cutting edge stuff :)

Peter
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:01:25 +0100, Peter Herth wrote:

> Paul Griffioen schrieb:
>
>> I suspect that clTcl is also better synchronized with Tcl/Tk's events.
>> I don't know the latest version of Ltk, but if I remember correctly it
>> had some problems with error handling. Calls in clTcl block and catch
>> errors.
>
> I would be interested in what you mean by "better synchronized"? Those
> calls in LTk which are supposed to block on Tcl do so, and error
> handling is also working. I have to admit though, I really have to make
> a new release to ensure all LTk users use the cutting edge stuff :)

Hi Peter,

I am not an expert on tk, but heard about things like tile. Is it
possible to use ltk with that (sorry if the question is silly or
nonsensical, I know very little about tk, just looking for something
that "looks" better than the default appearance).

Thanks,

Tamas