From: Larry Garfield on
On Thursday 15 April 2010 08:37:40 am Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> I know I could move it to __construct and give it a default value in the
> arguments list, but that brings it's own problems. What if the argument
> list grows too big, and which attribute would be deemed more important
> than another that you might want to override it without specifying every
> other? Is there a rule of thumb as to what belongs in __construct and
> what does not?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I tend to favor setting the default with the property itself rather than in
the constructor, even if I expect the constructor to specify it. I really
really hate having undefined variables. :-) So even if, for instance, I'm
going to pass in a db connection object in the constructor I will define it in
the class and set it to NULL rather than not setting to anything.

OK, I'm a little OCD, but it works. :-)

--Larry Garfield