From: Jack on
hi,

background: i have win xp sp3 cd, somewhat old computer which has intel P4
2.4Ghz CPU & asus MotherB all roms/hdd are connected with IDE cables, and the
MB has 3 sdram slots (yeah rare!) (the first 512MB (newley added before the
problem)/sec 265MB/third 128MB=896MB) harddisk western digital old 40gb, have
1 dvd-rom 1cd-rom + vga 4x geforce 5200 (new edition with dvi port), no
floppy.
* NOTE: the computer connected to the tv and is not really usable - maybe
twice a once in 2 weeks.

problem: i had windows seven (installed it to try) got low performance due
to 512 MB of ram so i extendet it to 896MB and seven ran freely the first
time i added the memory.
tried to start the computer after 2/3 days and for my suprise a black blank
37" screen appears (no seven's logo) restarted (maybe temp. problem) and the
reperation screen appeared skipped that tried one more normal start = guess
what same prob.
tried repair startup or whatever that is! after some time of "searching for
prob." nothing seems to be a problem, seven suggested to restore the system,
i agreed with that = guess what?! didn't help (else why i'm writing).
got stuck with no tv comp! tried clean install of xp sp3. first screens
where DOS world lives in finished with zero problems. restarted the comp and
the logo of old xp showed up (still in setup procces) the blue lovely screen
& delayed time counter with the green bar appeared maybe it installed
something maybe not but either ways the comp suddenly restarted, once again
the setup began but this time the green bar and the promising text never
appeared except an error something with application prob. didn't have the
time needed to be the doctor.

tried:
1) not hdd prob: switched 3 hdd and installed xp using another comp on the
40gb hdd and worked out, when replaced the hdd in the problematic comp =
guess what? same as seven black death screen (actually he never had the
chance to live)
2) sdram is ok: since added recently i removed all the card and installed
only one after the other on diffrent slots never worked. downloaded MemTester
for DOS and ran it with 896MB all the night and passed 16 times with no errs.
3)no interferance with other components: removed PCI cards, roms, usbes
nothing helped (*NOTE didin't remove vga since no onBoard videocard)
4) don't think its PSU problem cause its 350 watts and never had problems
before
5) no bios setup: tried optimal setting and after that failsafe setting and
did not help.
6) never checked and never knew it could be a cpu problem - don't have
another cpu to try.
7) no heat problem possible since the cpu's heat is no more than 32C, MB no
more than 30C
8) never (and don't think this could be) checked if MB could be a prob since
don't have another to replace.

ending: i could use the your help guys, any help is appreciated!
From: ybS2okj on
When you are installing XP make sure you have DISCONNECTED EVERYTHING FROM
THE SYSTEM like external HD, flash drive, network cables even wireless
(though this may be off without the OS but use the switch to turn it off).

If it is still hanging up, then your memory module may be faulty or not
installed properly.

hth

From: Jack on
man are you for real???? i almost diconnected the main harddrive to try
getting it going! so your saying the i have a problem with the memory, what
should i do install xp with temproary one memory card that works???
but why did it pass memtester??!!