From: cellist on
I have a 320GB external hard disk with 2 primary partitions and an extended
partition. There is also 122BG of "unallocated" space (marked black in the
disk management graphic display).

Can I resize the extended partition without losing the data that resides on
the logical drive that's already allocated in the extended partition?

Running WINDOWS/XP Home with sp3 installed.

TIA,

Phil
From: Shenan Stanley on
cellist wrote:
> I have a 320GB external hard disk with 2 primary partitions and an
> extended partition. There is also 122BG of "unallocated" space
> (marked black in the disk management graphic display).
>
> Can I resize the extended partition without losing the data that
> resides on the logical drive that's already allocated in the
> extended partition?
>
> Running WINDOWS/XP Home with sp3 installed.

Without backing up the data? Unwise.

3rd party utilities.... Either partition utilities or
imaging/repartition/apply image.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: VanguardLH on
cellist wrote:

> I have a 320GB external hard disk with 2 primary partitions and an extended
> partition. There is also 122BG of "unallocated" space (marked black in the
> disk management graphic display).
>
> Can I resize the extended partition without losing the data that resides on
> the logical drive that's already allocated in the extended partition?
>
> Running WINDOWS/XP Home with sp3 installed.
>
> TIA,
>
> Phil

Did the hard disk come partitioned that way from the factory? If so, did
they actually include restore/recovery media to let you put a fresh copy of
Windows back on your host? If not, did you ever follow their manual to copy
that image in the hidden partition onto CDs? If you blow away the partition
containing their recovery image, how are you going to restore your host?
Planning on buying a separate copy of Windows?