From: Alan on
I'm having some paper jam issues with my HPLJ6P.
I've been advised that I should clean the solenoids.

Can anyone tell me more specifically how to go about that?
I do have the service manual but that doesn't mention this procedure.

Also it looks like a bit of a struggle to remove the case to get at
the innards, any hints on doing that?

From: Baz on

"Alan" <none(a)none.com> wrote in message
> I'm having some paper jam issues with my HPLJ6P.
> I've been advised that I should clean the solenoids.
>
> Can anyone tell me more specifically how to go about that?
> I do have the service manual but that doesn't mention this procedure.
>
> Also it looks like a bit of a struggle to remove the case to get at
> the innards, any hints on doing that?

Hi Alan,

I had once this problem with my old HP Laserjet3-P. Took me ages to
diagnose, but as usual, I found a tip on the web, which put me on the right
path.

I think they are referring to cleaning the sticky residue that remains after
the "armature residual gap" material disintegrates and leaves it's glue.
Remove the armatures if possible and clean off the sticky stuff. You need
to fit some more material into the the armature gap to prevent the solenoid
"magnetically sticking". It provides a small air gap, and stops residual
magnetism from holding the armature. I seem to recall I've used small
pieces of stick on felt, but almost any non-magnetic material will do, if
you can keep it there. I temporarily used some clear plastic from a PET
bottle at one stage, but found the stick-one felt convenient.

The sticking armatures will affect the release time of the solenoids and
this causes the paper jam problem.

How to physically do it depends on how mechanically able you are. I'm
surprised the service manual doesn't tell you how to remove the case. After
that it's usually just screws.

regards
Barry

From: LLCoolG on
On Thu, 6 May 2010 17:23:35 +1000, "Baz" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>"Alan" <none(a)none.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having some paper jam issues with my HPLJ6P.
>> I've been advised that I should clean the solenoids.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me more specifically how to go about that?
>> I do have the service manual but that doesn't mention this procedure.
>>
>> Also it looks like a bit of a struggle to remove the case to get at
>> the innards, any hints on doing that?
>>

>Hi Alan,
>
>I had once this problem with my old HP Laserjet3-P. Took me ages to
>diagnose, but as usual, I found a tip on the web, which put me on the right
>path.
>
>I think they are referring to cleaning the sticky residue that remains after
>the "armature residual gap" material disintegrates and leaves it's glue.
>Remove the armatures if possible and clean off the sticky stuff. You need
>to fit some more material into the the armature gap to prevent the solenoid
>"magnetically sticking". It provides a small air gap, and stops residual
>magnetism from holding the armature. I seem to recall I've used small
>pieces of stick on felt, but almost any non-magnetic material will do, if
>you can keep it there. I temporarily used some clear plastic from a PET
>bottle at one stage, but found the stick-one felt convenient.
>
>The sticking armatures will affect the release time of the solenoids and
>this causes the paper jam problem.
>
>How to physically do it depends on how mechanically able you are. I'm
>surprised the service manual doesn't tell you how to remove the case. After
>that it's usually just screws.
>
>regards
>Barry

Almost every one I worked on for pull jams was the pickup roller. EZ fix, try
that first
From: Alan on
On Thu, 6 May 2010 17:23:35 +1000, "Baz" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>"Alan" <none(a)none.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having some paper jam issues with my HPLJ6P.
>> I've been advised that I should clean the solenoids.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me more specifically how to go about that?
>> I do have the service manual but that doesn't mention this procedure.
>>
>> Also it looks like a bit of a struggle to remove the case to get at
>> the innards, any hints on doing that?
>>

>Hi Alan,
>
>I had once this problem with my old HP Laserjet3-P. Took me ages to
>diagnose, but as usual, I found a tip on the web, which put me on the right
>path.
>
>I think they are referring to cleaning the sticky residue that remains after
>the "armature residual gap" material disintegrates and leaves it's glue.
>Remove the armatures if possible and clean off the sticky stuff. You need
>to fit some more material into the the armature gap to prevent the solenoid
>"magnetically sticking". It provides a small air gap, and stops residual
>magnetism from holding the armature. I seem to recall I've used small
>pieces of stick on felt, but almost any non-magnetic material will do, if
>you can keep it there. I temporarily used some clear plastic from a PET
>bottle at one stage, but found the stick-one felt convenient.
>
>The sticking armatures will affect the release time of the solenoids and
>this causes the paper jam problem.
>
>How to physically do it depends on how mechanically able you are. I'm
>surprised the service manual doesn't tell you how to remove the case. After
>that it's usually just screws.

The manual does say how to take it apart; what I meant was that it
does not mention anything about cleaning solenoids.

Also, in this model it appears you have to flex the case to get it on
and off, and I think the plastic is getting a bit brittle with age.

And embarrassingly, I'm not sure just where the solenoids in question
are and what it the solenoid actually looks like.
-- any pointers to an image?

I can see in a diagram in the manual "SL1 Tray 2 Solenoid" which I
guess is the one, as it's pickup from Tray 2 (the lower cassette) that
is the problem. It feeds from the MP tray at the front (Tray 1) okay.

The diagram that shows the location is fairly abstract, and I'm not
sure how much I need to dismantle the printer to get to it.

If you're interested, you can find the manual here:
http://www.freeprintermanuals.com/PM/HP%20LaserJet%205P,%206P%20Service%20Manual.pdf

From: Alan on
On Thu, 06 May 2010 21:41:11 -0500, LLCoolG <LLCGtt(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Almost every one I worked on for pull jams was the pickup roller. EZ fix, try
>that first

Thanks, but I've tried that. I clean the roller on my 5MP every now
and them when it starts to jam and then it's okay, so I know how to do
that, but this seems to be different. Also the 6MP does pickup from
the front MP tray, which uses the same pickup roller as the cassette,
so I don't think it is the roller.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Canon MP510 : ATT Art