From: jodleren on
Hello

This happens quite often. Why?

It is on a spare computer, WIN XP SP3, 400MHz pention, 4 GB HD, 192 MB
ram (64 when installed).
However, cleanmgr seems to run for minutes now and then... stopping
the computer totally.

WBR
Sonnich
From: db on
a 4 gigabyte hard drive may
be the problem and running
out of disk space may be a
regular issue for the pc.

----------

192 megabytes of memory/
ram may be the problem and
running out of memory may
be a regular issue for the pc.

---------

having insufficient resources
like those mention above makes
for a poorly performing pc with
xp installed on it.

if you upgrade the resources above
you will surely see an improvement
with system performance.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Gerry on
Sonnich

The amount of RAM is less than minimal for most users of Windows XP. Try
Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance Tab.
Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

Cleanmgr.exe is the Disk CleanUp utility. The first stage is to
calculate the saving of disk space by compressing older files. This
takes time on any computer.
You can disable the calculation:
http://samanathon.com/registry-hack-disable-disk-cleanup-wizard-compression-calculation/

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Twayne on
In news:fa79f8a3-5e5d-4778-bd42-dee5c34721d9(a)s3g2000yqs.googlegroups.com,
jodleren <sonnich(a)hot.ee> typed:
> Hello
>
> This happens quite often. Why?
>
> It is on a spare computer, WIN XP SP3, 400MHz pention, 4 GB HD, 192 MB
> ram (64 when installed).
> However, cleanmgr seems to run for minutes now and then... stopping
> the computer totally.
>
> WBR
> Sonnich

Mainly because the specs for that PC are far from optimal for running XP.
cpu too slow @ 400 MHz, HD way too small, RAM seriously undersized and
probably a lot more.
There's nothing "wrong" specifically, but you're going to see some things
that can get real slow depending on a lot of other things. You could be
running out of or nearly out of hard drive space and useing an immense
pagefile, in which case you are likely maxing out your resources. I'm
surprised you aren't seeing hard drive full and out of resource error
messages; you've tweaked something pretty well or turned them off, I'd
guess<g>.
If you're letting it compact old files, that's one process that's slower
on any machine - and would really be slow for you. So setting it for not
compacting old files might be a big help. That might leave enough resources
to not completely stop other applications, but you'll probably never get rid
of the pauses and slow spots.

If you can't upgrade to another computer then a larger hard drive would be
the first thing for you to go after IMO. Be sure it's a 7200 or a 10,000
rpm drive; avoid the older 5400 rpm drives. 80 Gig to 360 Gig drives are
really low-cost right now.

HTH,

Twayne
--
Often you'll find excellent advice on a newsgroup.
Before you use that advice though, consider the

From: Paul on
jodleren wrote:
> Hello
>
> This happens quite often. Why?
>
> It is on a spare computer, WIN XP SP3, 400MHz pention, 4 GB HD, 192 MB
> ram (64 when installed).
> However, cleanmgr seems to run for minutes now and then... stopping
> the computer totally.
>
> WBR
> Sonnich

Are you using an AV software which is scanning each file visited by cleanmgr ?
The simple act of accessing a file, can trigger off your AV software, which
wastes extra cycles. I used to have long delays on a machine running Kaspersky,
when using cleanmgr.

Paul