From: Gordon on
I'm having an argument on the Windows 7 forums with someone who is insisting
that it is possible to install and activate a RETAIL copy of Windows 7 using
an OEM Product key.
Is this possible?
Has it EVER been possible? Either in XP or Vista?
If it IS possible, does anyone have an MS page that says this is possible?

From: DL on
The key is specific to the version of win
A generic MS oem key may work but a maker specific oem key wont

From: Daave on
Gordon wrote:
> I'm having an argument on the Windows 7 forums with someone who is
> insisting that it is possible to install and activate a RETAIL copy
> of Windows 7 using an OEM Product key.
> Is this possible?
> Has it EVER been possible? Either in XP or Vista?
> If it IS possible, does anyone have an MS page that says this is
> possible?

Although it's not possible, it *is* possible to use a Retail CD and
create an OEM CD out of it, using this method:

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Then simply use the OEM CD with the OEM Product Key.

(Of course, per the EULA, you are only permitted to do this on the same
PC.)

From: Gordon on
Daave wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> I'm having an argument on the Windows 7 forums with someone who is
>> insisting that it is possible to install and activate a RETAIL copy
>> of Windows 7 using an OEM Product key.
>> Is this possible?
>> Has it EVER been possible? Either in XP or Vista?
>> If it IS possible, does anyone have an MS page that says this is
>> possible?
>
> Although it's not possible, it *is* possible to use a Retail CD and
> create an OEM CD out of it,

Thanks. That's not what the argument is about - it's about installing
from a RETAIL DVD and then activating it using an OEM product key, which
I maintain is impossible.
From: Daave on
Gordon wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> I'm having an argument on the Windows 7 forums with someone who is
>>> insisting that it is possible to install and activate a RETAIL copy
>>> of Windows 7 using an OEM Product key.
>>> Is this possible?
>>> Has it EVER been possible? Either in XP or Vista?
>>> If it IS possible, does anyone have an MS page that says this is
>>> possible?
>>
>> Although it's not possible, it *is* possible to use a Retail CD and
>> create an OEM CD out of it,
>
> Thanks. That's not what the argument is about - it's about installing
> from a RETAIL DVD and then activating it using an OEM product key,
> which I maintain is impossible.

You are correct. The type of key needs to match the type of OS
installation. So one would need a retail key for a retail disk.

But using my example above, you can certainly activate using an OEM key.
Of course, you would be using an OEM installation disk, too. :-)