From: Leroy on
Yes, you can activate a Windows 7 Retail installation with a Windows 7
OEM product key as long as it is for the same edition.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/Win7Pkuinst.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=32c44c69-26e2-48aa-97b3-37a728f0263f

From: Gordon on
Leroy wrote:
> Yes, you can activate a Windows 7 Retail installation with a Windows 7
> OEM product key as long as it is for the same edition.
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/Win7Pkuinst.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=32c44c69-26e2-48aa-97b3-37a728f0263f

Hmmm. NO mention of activating a RETAIL install using an OEM product
key. At least if there is I didn't see it....
From: Leroy on
I have personally installed Windows Vista on an HP PC using a retail DVD
(did not enter product key during setup) and then entered a HP OEM
Windows Vista product key and it was accepted. However, product
activation can only be accomplished by "activating by phone" which takes
about 5 minutes.

Same procedure should also work with Windows 7.

From: Daave on
Daave wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> I'm having an argument on the Windows 7 forums with someone who is
>> insisting that it is possible to install and activate a RETAIL copy
>> of Windows 7 using an OEM Product key.
>> Is this possible?
>> Has it EVER been possible? Either in XP or Vista?
>> If it IS possible, does anyone have an MS page that says this is
>> possible?
>
> Although it's not possible, it *is* possible to use a Retail CD and
> create an OEM CD out of it, using this method:
>
> http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html
>
> Then simply use the OEM CD with the OEM Product Key.
>
> (Of course, per the EULA, you are only permitted to do this on the
> same PC.)

Addendu:

I'm not too familiar with Vista, but I know you can't enter the wrong
kind of key with XP.

From: Peter Foldes on
Leroy

No you cannot. Even over the phone with MS when you say the key which will include
the letters OEM the Activation will fail with MS. If you call the OEM telephone
number and give the OEM key that will work

--
Peter

"Leroy" <leroy(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Yes, you can activate a Windows 7 Retail installation with a Windows 7 OEM product
> key as long as it is for the same edition.
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/Win7Pkuinst.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=32c44c69-26e2-48aa-97b3-37a728f0263f
>

> Gordon wrote:
>> Daave wrote:
>>> Although it's not possible, it *is* possible to use a Retail CD and create an
>>> OEM CD out of it,
>>
>> Thanks. That's not what the argument is about - it's about installing
>> from a RETAIL DVD and then activating it using an OEM product key, which
>> I maintain is impossible.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: cleanmgr.exe takes 92% of CPU time
Next: SVCHOST.EXE error