From: Mirko on
On Jan 23, 8:06 am, Martin <xtd8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/2010 12:46 PM, Tamas K Papp wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:31:02 +0000, Martin wrote:
>
> >> everything is fine. C-c C-q is supposed to insert any required
> >> parantheses, as per the following tutorial (practical common lisp) :
> >>http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lather-rinse-repeat-a-tour-of-the-rep....
> >> (quotation below)

> >> it will flash the corresponding opening parenthesis.
> >> Or you can just type C-c C-q to invoke the command
> >> slime-close-parens-at-point, which will insert as many closing
> >> parentheses as necessary to match all the currently open
> >> parentheses.
>
> > PCL is certainly an excellent book, but SLIME underwent a lot of
> > development since PCL has been written, so particular keymappings may
> > not work any more, and SLIME has acquired tons of new features.
>
> > You might be looking for
>
> > C-c C-]         slime-close-all-parens-in-sexp
>
> > Happy lisping,
>
> > Tamas
>
> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately C-c C-] is undefined as well. I did
> it in REPL. I'll do more googling on it.
> I also downloaded a slime manual from their website so I'll have
> a look at it.
> I've got one more question: when I finish working with lisp and emacs
> do I normally exit emacs C-x C-s C-x C-c or do I need to close
> lisp/slime manually?
>
> --
> regards
>
> Martin

Not disparaging Tamas' help, but you might get more help on the slime

Mirko
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:06:04 +0000, Martin wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately C-c C-] is undefined as well. I did
> it in REPL. I'll do more googling on it. I also downloaded a slime

Use it on the source in lisp-mode. People don't usually edit
complicated expressions in the REPL. Edit the source, then use C-c
C-c or similar to run in the REPL.

Also, why google when there is documentation? C-h m.

> I've got one more question: when I finish working with lisp and emacs do
> I normally exit emacs C-x C-s C-x C-c or do I need to close lisp/slime
> manually?

That does two things: first you save your file (C-x C-s, or C-x s will
save all), then C-x C-c will exit Emacs. Emacs will usually ask about
running processes, but it will kill them just fine if you answer y.

Just read the tutorials, and you will get the hang of it.

Tamas

From: Martin on
On 01/23/2010 01:24 PM, Mirko wrote:
> On Jan 23, 8:06 am, Martin <xtd8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> PCL is certainly an excellent book, but SLIME underwent a lot of
>>> development since PCL has been written, so particular keymappings may
>>> not work any more, and SLIME has acquired tons of new features.
>>
>>> You might be looking for
>>
>>> C-c C-] slime-close-all-parens-in-sexp
>>
>>> Happy lisping,
>>
>>> Tamas
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately C-c C-] is undefined as well. I did
>> it in REPL. I'll do more googling on it.
>> I also downloaded a slime manual from their website so I'll have
>> a look at it.
>> I've got one more question: when I finish working with lisp and emacs
>> do I normally exit emacs C-x C-s C-x C-c or do I need to close
>> lisp/slime manually?
>>
>> --
>> regards
>>
>> Martin
>
> Not disparaging Tamas' help, but you might get more help on the slime
>
> Mirko
Thanks, I'll do it as well

--
regards

Martin
From: Martin on
On 01/23/2010 02:08 PM, Tamas K Papp wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:06:04 +0000, Martin wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately C-c C-] is undefined as well. I did
>> it in REPL. I'll do more googling on it. I also downloaded a slime
>
> Use it on the source in lisp-mode. People don't usually edit
> complicated expressions in the REPL. Edit the source, then use C-c
> C-c or similar to run in the REPL.
>
> Also, why google when there is documentation? C-h m.
>
>> I've got one more question: when I finish working with lisp and emacs do
>> I normally exit emacs C-x C-s C-x C-c or do I need to close lisp/slime
>> manually?
>
> That does two things: first you save your file (C-x C-s, or C-x s will
> save all), then C-x C-c will exit Emacs. Emacs will usually ask about
> running processes, but it will kill them just fine if you answer y.
>
> Just read the tutorials, and you will get the hang of it.
>
> Tamas

Thanks a lot!!!

--
regards

Martin
From: Nicolas Neuss on
Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.com> writes:

> When I want to close paranthesis (C-c C-q) nothing happens. Other
> shortcuts mentioned in tutorials don't work either.

Does anyone really need this? I usually like closing my open
parenthesis one by one and checking the blinking counterparts.

I assume that there will be more people who have bound '(' such that it
inserts '()' with the cursor in between...

Nicolas