From: Paul Donnelly on
Nicolas Neuss <lastname(a)math.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When I want to close paranthesis (C-c C-q) nothing happens. Other
>> shortcuts mentioned in tutorials don't work either.
>
> Does anyone really need this? I usually like closing my open
> parenthesis one by one and checking the blinking counterparts.

That's how I liked to do it until I got comfortable with paredit...

> I assume that there will be more people who have bound '(' such that it
> inserts '()' with the cursor in between...

which works pretty much like that.
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler on
Martin <xtd8865(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just started my journey through the land of lisp (clisp) on
> Slackware64-current using Emacs + slime. I've got a few basic questions
> regarding setting up working environment. The emacs slime-mode starts
> without any errors but the key bindings seems not to work.

Unrelated commentary to your e-mail: I would suggest to use another
implementation in combination with Slime. Clisp's integration into Slime
is not really good -- the intersection of people who are familiar with
Clisp, and the people who use Slime is pretty much empty.

As a newcomer, you should probably do your baby steps on SBCL, CCL, or
on a commercial implementation (which tend to provide free evaluation
versions for personal use.)

-T.
From: Martin on
On 01/24/2010 11:34 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> Martin<xtd8865(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just started my journey through the land of lisp (clisp) on
>> Slackware64-current using Emacs + slime. I've got a few basic questions
>> regarding setting up working environment. The emacs slime-mode starts
>> without any errors but the key bindings seems not to work.
>
> Unrelated commentary to your e-mail: I would suggest to use another
> implementation in combination with Slime. Clisp's integration into Slime
> is not really good -- the intersection of people who are familiar with
> Clisp, and the people who use Slime is pretty much empty.
>
> As a newcomer, you should probably do your baby steps on SBCL, CCL, or
> on a commercial implementation (which tend to provide free evaluation
> versions for personal use.)
>
> -T.
Thanks for your input. In a few words, how would you describe the
differences between the above-mentioned implementations of CL?
Is the syntax different? functionality? Browsing the internet I
usually come across clisp and sbcl. What are the names of commercial ones?
I might be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that clisp is most
portable out of them. What are advantages of the other ones?

> As a newcomer, you should probably do your baby steps on SBCL, CCL, or
> on a commercial implementation (which tend to provide free evaluation
> versions for personal use.)

OMG. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to start with clisp and
THEN perhaps move to sbcl, LOL.

regards
martin
From: Duane Rettig on
On Jan 24, 4:12 pm, Martin <xtd8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/24/2010 11:34 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
>

> > Martin<xtd8...(a)gmail.com>  writes:
>
> >> Hi all,
>
> >> I've just started my journey through the land of lisp (clisp) on
> >> Slackware64-current using Emacs + slime. I've got a few basic questions
> >> regarding setting up working environment. The emacs slime-mode starts
> >> without any errors but the key bindings seems not to work.
>
> > Unrelated commentary to your e-mail: I would suggest to use another
> > implementation in combination with Slime. Clisp's integration into Slime
> > is not really good -- the intersection of people who are familiar with
> > Clisp, and the people who use Slime is pretty much empty.
>
> > As a newcomer, you should probably do your baby steps on  SBCL, CCL, or
> > on a commercial implementation (which tend to provide free evaluation
> > versions for personal use.)
>
> >    -T.
>
> Thanks for your input. In a few words, how would you describe the
> differences between the above-mentioned implementations of CL?
> Is the syntax different? functionality? Browsing the internet I
> usually come across clisp and sbcl. What are the names of commercial ones?
> I might be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that clisp is most
> portable out of them. What are advantages of the other ones?
>
>  > As a newcomer, you should probably do your baby steps on  SBCL, CCL, or
>  > on a commercial implementation (which tend to provide free evaluation
>  > versions for personal use.)
>  >
>
> OMG. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to start with clisp and
> THEN perhaps move to sbcl, LOL.

You probably heard it from the clisp folks :-)

Need I say it?

(i.e. you should start with Allegro CL!)

Duane
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:12:17 +0000, Martin wrote:

> On 01/24/2010 11:34 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
>> Martin<xtd8865(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've just started my journey through the land of lisp (clisp) on
>>> Slackware64-current using Emacs + slime. I've got a few basic
>>> questions regarding setting up working environment. The emacs
>>> slime-mode starts without any errors but the key bindings seems not to
>>> work.
>>
>> Unrelated commentary to your e-mail: I would suggest to use another
>> implementation in combination with Slime. Clisp's integration into
>> Slime is not really good -- the intersection of people who are familiar
>> with Clisp, and the people who use Slime is pretty much empty.
>>
>> As a newcomer, you should probably do your baby steps on SBCL, CCL, or
>> on a commercial implementation (which tend to provide free evaluation
>> versions for personal use.)
>>
> Thanks for your input. In a few words, how would you describe the
> differences between the above-mentioned implementations of CL? Is the
> syntax different? functionality? Browsing the internet I usually come
> across clisp and sbcl. What are the names of commercial ones? I might be
> wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that clisp is most portable out
> of them. What are advantages of the other ones?

Syntax is of course the same. All CL implementations (aim to) conform
to the hyperspec, and SBCL is doing a particularly fine job.
Naturally, implementation-specific extensions differ, but libraries
like CFFI hide most of that for you, and you are not likely to
encounter the rest as a newbie in either implementation.

I would suggests that since CL has a standard, think of your
application/code as portable, not your implementation. Ie you might
have to modify a few low-level bits, but it should run OK on other
implementations. Again, as a newbie, you are unlikely to write code
that doesn't. So the switch to SBCL should be painless.

> > As a newcomer, you should probably do your baby steps on SBCL, CCL,
> > or on a commercial implementation (which tend to provide free
> > evaluation versions for personal use.)
> >
> OMG. I remember reading somewhere that it's good to start with clisp and
> THEN perhaps move to sbcl, LOL.

I started with SBCL, and didn't regret that decision. A particularly
advantageous feature is the excellent code analysis it performs during
compilation: it highlights many possible mistakes (eg code branches
never executed, using variables that don't exist, never using those
which do, etc) and gives you a lot of notes. IMO this should help
newbies significantly.

Tamas