From: Ada novice on
Hi,
I would like to be able to make scientific 2D plots (Y against X)
within an Ada code itself. I've been taken a look at PLplot but the
installation is cumbersome for a Windows machine. The installation of
PLplot for Windows is at:
http://www.miscdebris.net/plplot_wiki/index.php?title=Specifics_for_various_platforms#Windows
.. The installation is as follows:

cd plplot
mkdir buildmingw
cd buildmingw
cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=install ..
mingw32-make
mingw32-make install

I decided to go for the MinGW instillation by downloading the exe file
from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/ . I also got cmake
for Windows here: http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html .

Now, on running the fourth instruction for installing PLplot (see
above), I get:

C:\plplot-5.9.6\buildmingw>cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" -
DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=ins
tall ..
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/
CMakeDetermine
CCompiler.cmake:44 (MESSAGE):
Could not find compiler set in environment variable CC:

cl.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:38 (project)

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may
be not be
built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may
be not be
built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:C:/plplot-5.9.6/
buildmingw/CMakeFi
les/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage

C:\plplot-5.9.6\buildmingw>

I chose in the installation options to let cmake create the necessary
system paths. I wonder why the environment variables
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR and CMAKE_C_COMPILER were not created during
the installation. I have the GNAT compiler. and for C I have the
Borland C++ Personal and MVS 2008 and 2010 compilers. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot...
From: Jerry on
On Jul 10, 10:00 am, Ada novice <po...(a)gmx.us> wrote:
<snip>
Any suggestions?

> Thanks a lot...

Your question isn't really Ada-related, but about PLplot installation.
Please post your question to the PLplot general discussion list. The
sign-up page is

And yes, PLplot installation is cumbersome. It's available on a lot of
different machines which is partly why it's hard to install on any
one, requiring cmake to be installed first.

Jerry
From: Ada novice on
Thanks for the link. I've now indeed post the question on PLplot
discussion list. I posted this question here as I hoped someone had
gone through the same experience with PLplot as I did.

Best wishes
YC