From: installation bug installation on
I also get code 646. This has been going on more than a week. Microsoft
continues to download and try to install KB974234, KB972581, and KB973709. Up
until now all downloads have installed autimatically and successfully. I
consider this a bug. If microsoft can't install the software on my system,
how do I get them to stop trying?

From: Peter Foldes on
Here is the solution for Error 646

Courtesy of Shenan Stanley MS MVP

<snip>
Install the updates manually.

It's not a solution, but a work around. Most who are having trouble and do
this work-around will likely be back next month (second tuesday and after)
asking the same question about how to install some update because of a
failure to install. Until they fix their updates system, it will repeat
each month.

Also - the easiest way to download any update Microsoft releases and do this
manually is to plug the KB######'s into this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/######

In this case:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974234

From which you should click on the link for IT Professionals:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-060.mspx

Where you can get the proper update for your version of Office.

They will also want to check the original link given to ensure they meet the
"Prerequisites to install this security update" and they might even utilize
the section on "How to obtain help and support for this security update" to
their advantage.

<end snip>

--
Peter

From: Shadows4 on
(11/21/09) - I have Vista (64bit version), and I was getting this error for
three weeks myself. Thanks to one the suggestions below, I got it to work.
The suggestion that worked for me was to "manually" install each update
"individually". I could not use the windows automatic update feature. Here's
what I did (BTW, I did not have to turn off my firewall to do this):

1) Went to Bing.Com
2) Typed in the exact name of the update as it was displayed on the Windows
Update Screen (e.g. Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel (KB######)
3) Bing found the exact match to what I typed in on the Microsoft website
4) I clicked on the link
5) Selected "Download"
6) And Viola, it worked :-)
7) I repeated this step four more times, and now I've successfully installed
all five updates that I'd been trying to install for three weeks.
8) Thanks again to all of the tips people listed below, that was helpful and
the "manual" update tip worked for me.

Hope this works for other people as well.

"installation bug" wrote:

> I also get code 646. This has been going on more than a week. Microsoft
> continues to download and try to install KB974234, KB972581, and KB973709. Up
> until now all downloads have installed autimatically and successfully. I
> consider this a bug. If microsoft can't install the software on my system,
> how do I get them to stop trying?
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Some procedures here that might assist:
> >
> > How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation from the
> > Office Update Web site
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498
> >

> > --
> >
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > ======================================
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
> >

> > "kummer0485" <kummer0485(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I need help....my computer keeps trying to install a update that it keeps
> > > failing on. I get a code 646 error saying windows updated encountered an
> > > unknown error when im trying to install the office 2003-mircosoft office
> > > outlook 2003 junk email filter...its an important update it says so i want
> > > it
> > > to get installed and not have to worry about it.please help :)

Pages: 1
Prev: Unable to Install Updates
Next: KB973768