From: steve on
On Jun 25, 6:03 pm, Lynn McGuire <l...(a)winsim.com> wrote:
> >> My long term goal is to convert our F77 code to C++ using FOR_C.
> >> We may be trying this later this year when all of our Hollerith
> >> code is gone.
> > A couple of points to quote in that regard:
>
> >      i) Cobalt-Blue's FOR_C is an F77 to C (NOT C++) converter.
>
> Yes.  But converting C code to C++ code is fairly easy.  I've done
> it several times now.  However, converting char * strings to STL
> strings is non-trivial but that can be done later.
>
> >      ii) FOR_C may choke on many of the non-standard F77 extensions used in
> > your code.
>
> Nope.  FOR_C understands the vax structure, union, map and record
> keywords.  That is the only extension that we are currently using.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Elsewhere you discuss a custom memory allocator where
you need to use EQUIVALENCE in a nonstandard way. I
suspect you have many more extensions than you can
easily enumerate here.

Given that you appear to have problems porting Fortran
from Watcom to another compiler, I further suspect you'll
have problems with a fortran to c++ conversion.

--
steve
From: mecej4 on
On 6/25/2010 8:16 PM, e p chandler wrote:

> "mecej4" <mecej4.nyetspam(a)operamail.com> wrote in message
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>
>> <...>
>>> My long term goal is to convert our F77 code to C++ using FOR_C.
>>> We may be trying this later this year when all of our Hollerith
>>> code is gone.
>> A couple of points to quote in that regard:
>>
>> i) Cobalt-Blue's FOR_C is an F77 to C (NOT C++) converter.
>>
>> ii) FOR_C may choke on many of the non-standard F77 extensions used in
>> your code.
>>
>> -- mecej4
>
> What about the quality of the converted code? Can you read it? Can you
> maintain it? Or is it guacamole?

It is many years since I last tried FOR-C. The impression that I
obtained was that the C produced was more readable and maintainable than
the output of AT&T f2c; the latter was more fit to be used as a
pre-processor prior to calling a C compiler.

-- mecej4
From: dpb on
Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> had one of my guys add an isothermal flash cache to our general
>>> flash. ...
>>
>> In a quick moment before heading to fields...
>>
>> I have no clue what you just said???

> So anyway, we save the results of the calculations now. If the
> flowsheet wants to make the same exact calculation again, we already
> have it saved. Apparently saves a lot of time !

Too much wheat chaff yesterday, I suppose... :)

It dawned on me during the day what you meant; I initially read the
"flash" as memory, not in the thermodynamic sense and that sent me off
on a tangent...

On a side note, harvest '10 is over for us...finished not terribly late
last night; now let it rain... :)

Very sad note; a couple of outstanding young men (college kids working
summer) were killed in an grain elevator mishap day before yesterday
when two of the silos failed and buried them while unloading a semi at
an outside dump pit in Russell, KS. It was a structural failure, not a
grain dust explosion. Russell is in north central KS, roughly 200 miles
NE from us.

From: Lynn McGuire on
> Elsewhere you discuss a custom memory allocator where
> you need to use EQUIVALENCE in a nonstandard way. I
> suspect you have many more extensions than you can
> easily enumerate here.

I am thinking about moving our variant data type from our structure to
several equivalanced arrays. But that was so I could try the ftn95
compiler. I just found out that the absoft compiler supports structure.

> Given that you appear to have problems porting Fortran
> from Watcom to another compiler, I further suspect you'll
> have problems with a fortran to c++ conversion.

Me too. We use the /save feature of the watcom compiler, I keep on
forgetting that is an extension. It does save and zero init automatically
also. I need to get us off this feature, possibly by initializing all of our
local variables.

Thanks,
Lynn

From: Lynn McGuire on
> It is many years since I last tried FOR-C. The impression that I obtained was that the C produced was more readable and
> maintainable than the output of AT&T f2c; the latter was more fit to be used as a pre-processor prior to calling a C compiler.

Thanks for the analysis of for_c. I had a friend take a 100,000 line
f77 app to c with it several years ago. He was porting to a Fujitsu
unix machine that only had a c compiler. He thought for_c was OK
also, not great. But they stayed with fortran for the main lanaguage of
their app and just reran for_c when necessary.

Thanks,
Lynn