From: FlyersLady on
I created a file and set the default column widths to 14 characters. I then
shared the file so that my co-workers and boss could edit the file. Since
it's been shared, a portion of the column widths went back to the Excel
default of 8.43. I can't seem to get it to stay at 14. It causes the data
to show up as just ### because the columns are now too small. Does anyone
have a recommendation to fix this? Is there a way to change the setup for
all my new Excel files to be at 14? I can put the info into a new file if I
knew the columns would stay wide enough.

I'm using Excel 2007, btw.

Thanks for any help!
From: Gord Dibben on
Can't help you with the wdith change in shared workbook but you also asked
if you could change the default New workbook.

Yes you can.

Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish.........group the sheets before
setup so's all sheets get same settings.

File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name
your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as
BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for File>New or the Toolbar button
File>New or CTRL + n

WARNING................Do not use File>New...Blank Workbook or you will get
the Excel default workbook.

NOTE: Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
the default Insert>Sheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Instructions are for Excel 2003 and earlier.

2007 is similar except you would save as BOOK.xltx

New File Icon or CTRL + n in 2007.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP