From: Musa via AccessMonster.com on
I can select 1 value from a 2 column combo box and save it....no problem. I
can even display the 2nd value of the combo box in a text field. But, is
there a way to select 2 values from the combo box and save column(0) to one
field and column(1) to another field in the same table ?

For Example, ID -- 10 Name --- ABC Company

It saves as: ID Name
10 ABC Company

I know this is against normalization and it would be redundant data, but can
it still be done..?

Thanks

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:23:37 GMT, "Musa via AccessMonster.com" <u40920(a)uwe>
wrote:

> I can select 1 value from a 2 column combo box and save it....no problem. I
>can even display the 2nd value of the combo box in a text field. But, is
>there a way to select 2 values from the combo box and save column(0) to one
>field and column(1) to another field in the same table ?
>
>For Example, ID -- 10 Name --- ABC Company
>
>It saves as: ID Name
> 10 ABC Company
>
>I know this is against normalization and it would be redundant data, but can
>it still be done..?
>
>Thanks

You're right, it's almost certainly a Bad Idea (what if ABC Company gets
bought out and becomes Steele, Robb and Plundre)? but...

Use the AfterUpdate event of the combo to "push" data into a textbox bound to
the other field:

Private Sub cboCompany_AfterUpdate()
Me!CompanyName = Me!cboCompany.Column(1)
End Sub

using the first column as the bound column...
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: fredg on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:23:37 GMT, Musa via AccessMonster.com wrote:

> I can select 1 value from a 2 column combo box and save it....no problem. I
> can even display the 2nd value of the combo box in a text field. But, is
> there a way to select 2 values from the combo box and save column(0) to one
> field and column(1) to another field in the same table ?
>
> For Example, ID -- 10 Name --- ABC Company
>
> It saves as: ID Name
> 10 ABC Company
>
> I know this is against normalization and it would be redundant data, but can
> it still be done..?
>
> Thanks

1) You're correct....This is redundant data and should not be done.

2) However, if you had some compelling business reason, code the Combo
box AfterUpdate event:
Me.[Name] = Me.ComboName.Column(1)

The field Name should be included on the form.

3) See #1

Note: I hope you do NOT have a field named "Name" in your table.
Name is a reserved keyword and should not be used as a field name.

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
From: Musa via AccessMonster.com on
No, field is labelled Name... Thanks for your suggestion.