From: Peter T. Breuer on
In comp.os.linux.misc izzy <cohen.izzy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Treating het as W explains such mysteries as Welsh rabbit. This phrase
> is merely a list of its ingredients: cheese/milk + ale + toast. It
> probably entered English via Arabic.
> XaLav = milk, cheese WeL
> SHakhaR = ale, beer SH Ra
> PaT lexem = toast BBiT

That would be a great explanation, if only "welsh" rabbit were not one of
a set of four similar dishes known in the 18th century. Another is
"english rabbit", and yes, you can guess the other two.

The variant "rarebit" is apparently a later fancification.

Strange that only the "welsh" dish survived in the new world.

Oh - the culinary people explain the name like this:

Why Welsh Rabbit? According to "Toasted Cheese and St. Peter," an
early fourteenth-century tale by Boorde, the Welsh were turned out
of heaven because they were babbling and undeserving. St. Peter
lured them out by calling "Caws Pobi, Caws Pobi" ("roasted cheese")
and thereby earned for himself the post of Porter of Heaven.

Yerrrrrrs.

Anyway, here are the 18th century recipes. For some reason, the english
small "s" has been TYPED as "f" in the text I wound, even though that's
like writing "r" as "n" just because the original typeface has a long
descender.

A Welch Rabbit

Cut a handfome Piece of Bread and an even Slice of Cheefe, let the
Bread be of the Shape of the Cheefe, put a little larger every Way.
Put a salamander in the Fire, or a large Poker, or the Bottom of a
Fire-Shovel heated red hot will do.

A Scotch Rabbit

Cut a Slice of Cheefe very large and handfome, cut a Slice of
Bread, without Cruft, juft of the Size of the Cheefe; I toaft the
Bread an both Sides, and butter it, then toaft the Cheefe on both
Sides, and lay it evenly upon the Toaft and Butter. Send it up hot
without Muftard. This fhould be made larger than the Welch Rabbit,
and fent up fingle, one in a Plate, as that fhould be two.

An Englifh Rabbit.

Cut a handfome Toaft of Bread without Cruft, and have a good
Quantity Cheefe very fine.
Set a Tin Oven before the Fire, and have in Readinefs a Glafs of
red Port Wine.
Toaft the Bread carefully on both Sides, then pour the Wine upon
it, and turn it.
When it has foaked up the Wine fpread the fcraped Cheefe thick upon
it, lay it in the Oven, and place it before a good Fire; the Cheefe
will do very quickly and very finely.

Stewed Cheefe on Bread

Cut a large Slice of Bread of fuch a Shape as to lie handfomely in
the Bottom of a Plate without filling it up; a Round of a
threepenny Loaf, with the Cruft pared thin off, is very proper;
toaft this carefully and lay it on a Plate, pour on it half a Glafs
of red Wine, turn it, pour an another half Glafs, and then fet it
before the Fire that it may keep warm while the Chafe is doing. Rub
the Bottom of a Pewter Plate with Butter, cut tome Cheefe in
moderately thin Slices, fpread thefe evenly upon the Plate, then
pour in a Quarter of a Glafs of white Wine. Cover the Plate with
another, and fet it over fome hot Coals in a Chaffing-difh; let it
ftand about four Minutes and it will be very well done. Put a
Shovel on the Fire to be red hot; ftir in a little Muftard among
the ftewed Cheefe, fpread it carefully upon the Bread, and then
brown it by moving the red hot Bottom of the Shovel flowly over it.
Send it up hot.

Her English Rabbit (somewhat richer)

Cut a handsome Toast of Bread without Crust, and shave a good
Quantity of Cheese very fine.
Set a Tin Oven before the Fire, and have in Readiness a Glass of
red Port Wine.
Toast the Bread carefully on both Sides, then pour the Wine upon it
and turn it.
When it has soaked up the Wine spread the scraped Cheese thick upon
it, lay it in the Oven, and place it before a good fire; the Cheese
will do very quickly and finely.
Send it up very hot..

Mrs. Bradley's Welch Rabbit (London: 1756)

Cut a handsome piece of Bread and an even Slice of Cheese, let the
Bread be of the Shape of the Cheese, but a little larger every Way.
Put a Salamander in the fire, or a large Poker, or the Bottom of a
Fire-Shovel will do. While the Iron is heating toast the Bread
carefully on both Sides, without making it hard or burning it. Then
toast the Cheese on one Side, lay the Bread in a Plate, lay the
Cheese upon it with the toasted Side downwards, hold the red hot
Iron over the other Side to toast and brown that.
Put a little Mustard on it, and send it up very hot. Two should go
up together.

From: Michael Heiming on
In comp.os.linux.misc Peter T. Breuer <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es>:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Michael Heiming <michael+USENET(a)www.heiming.de> wrote:
>> BTW
>> Ever used 'amarok'?

>> http://amarok.kde.org/

> They misspelled "anorak". What IS that word?

Dunno, perhaps it's only amaro + K?

Looking deeper, it's FAQ:

"Why did you choose the name amaroK?

amaroK is an album by British composer Mike Oldfield. I
happen to like it a lot, and I think the name's got a nice sound.
Plus, of course, it contains the all important ?K?.. :)

Is it amaroK, AmaroK or Amarok?

It is "amaroK"! Yes, we understand this is unconventional ;-)"

[http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/FAQ#What_is_amaroK.3F]

Perhaps you should just try it out, instead of tinkering about
the name or just call it "anorak" if that makes you happy? ;-)

mail: echo zvpunry(a)urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 315: The recent proliferation of Nuclear Testing
From: Enrique Perez-Terron on
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:31:25 +0100, Peter T. Breuer <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:

> Anyway, here are the 18th century recipes. For some reason, the english
> small "s" has been TYPED as "f" in the text I wound, even though that's
> like writing "r" as "n" just because the original typeface has a long
> descender.

For whatever it's worth, in old Danish/Norwegian handwritten texts, s was
often written in a fashion that resembled an f, but had no crossing or
central adornation. It was just an S made very tall and deep, but with the
ends of the line not curved back, about like ~ turned 90 dgrees (and
mirror-imaged).

I think this was common in the 18th century. Later it was quite customary
to mix the two forms, so that a word with double s would have a long one
and a standard one, just for visual variation.

-Enrique
From: Andrew Preater on
* Enrique Perez-Terron <enrio(a)online.no>:
> Peter T. Breuer <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
>> Anyway, here are the 18th century recipes. For some reason,
>> the english small "s" has been TYPED as "f" in the text I
>> wound, even though that's like writing "r" as "n" just because
>> the original typeface has a long descender.
>
> For whatever it's worth, in old Danish/Norwegian handwritten
> texts, s was often written in a fashion that resembled an f,
> but had no crossing or central adornation.

The "long s". The letter had different shapes depending on where
it was placed in the word. I thought this was applied
consistently rather than just for appearance or variation?
Regardless, this happened in English too, and confused people
although it was used until at least the 18th century. Have you
heard of 'fnese'? Chaucer wrote:

[...] he speketh in his nose, And fneseth faste
^
([...] he speaks in his nose, And sneezes strongly)
^
Oops!

There were similar mistakes with other letters, thorn (?) is my
favourite. It's just 'th' like in 'thin':

And ?e Normans ne cou?e speke ?o bote how owe speche
(And the Normans could speak nothing but their own language)

It drops out of use: printers replace it with 'th', but people
continue to write 'y' to represent the thorn in some words. Then
they start sounding it out as a 'y' rather than 'th'. The only
place this seems to linger is in the name "Ye olde tea shoppe" -
but that is bad enough.

--
Andrew Preater
From: Tobias Brox on
[Enrique Perez-Terron]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftenposten

--
This signature has been virus scanned, and is probably safe to read
Tobias Brox, 69?42'N, 18?57'E