From: Mark Casey on
On 2/17/2010 4:15 AM, Evan Ingram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any common causes for a windows machines failure to find a
> samba domain controller?
>
> im trying to join a windows 2008 server to a samba[3.4.0] PDC and
> debug/netsetup says "failed to find a DC in the specified domain".
>
> cheers

Evan,

Yes there are a few. A very common one is the DC and your server's
clocks being too far out of sync but afaik that does not seem to be your
issue. In your case it just says it can't find a DC to being with. You
might try a few of these, some of which may not apply depending on
whether you are listing your DCs explicitly or just letting them be
found automatically.

1. Make sure you can ping between your hosts. Ping the DC from the smb
box and the smb box from the DC; try both 'ping server' and 'ping
server.domain.local'.
2. On the DC run netdiag and dcdiag. There is a dns only test in dcdiag
too, I think the syntax is dcdiag /test:dns.
My smb boxes use my DCs for DNS and the DNS are AD integrated, so you
may need to tweak those suggestions if thats not your setup. Generally
though, check out the health of the DNS.

3. In case you get nothing there (and you haven't done this already),
try specifying your DCs explicity in the kerberos config and in
smb.conf. I've never had my config reviewed by the experts, but it works
for me:

/etc/krb5.conf
[realms]
DOMAINNAME.COM = {
kdc = dal-dc1.domainname.com
kdc = den-dc1.domainname.com
master_kdc = dal-dc1.domainname.com
admin_server = dal-dc1.domainname.com
}

[domain_realm]
.domainname.com = DOMAINNAME.COM

/etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
server string = Dallas File Server
workgroup = DOMAINNAME
realm = DOMAINNAME.COM
security = ADS
password server = *
#password server = dal-dc1.domainname.com
#password server = dal-dc1.domainname.com, den-dc1.domainname.com
Note the password option especially. For awhile I had to list it explicitly.

4. Use kinit to make sure kerberos is working, and maybe search for your
error more in the list archives (read: google).

root(a)yourhost:~# kinit Administrator(a)DOMAINNAME.COM
Password for Administrator(a)DOMAINNAME.COM:
root(a)yourhost:~# klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: Administrator(a)DOMAINNAME.COM

Valid starting Expires Service principal
02/17/10 09:09:19 02/17/10 19:09:26 krbtgt/DOMAINNAME.COM(a)DOMAINNAME.COM
renew until 02/18/10 09:09:19

Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt0
klist: You have no tickets cached
root(a)yourhost:~# kdestroy
root(a)yourhost:~# kdestroy
kdestroy: No credentials cache found while destroying cache
root(a)yourhost:~#

HTH,
Mark Casey