From: colin_toogood on
Hello everyone.

We're just starting to use a new CAD system which means that we can
standardise on PCB component id prefixes. At the moment engineers use
what they feel like, although if I tried using U1 instead of IC1 there
would be a revolt in our CAD dept.

Somewhere there is an IPC (I think) standard for this which I came
across several years ago but can't now find, I would be very grateful
if someone could direct me to it.

Best regards

Colin
From: Dennis on

<colin_toogood(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone.
>
> We're just starting to use a new CAD system which means that we can
> standardise on PCB component id prefixes. At the moment engineers use
> what they feel like, although if I tried using U1 instead of IC1 there
> would be a revolt in our CAD dept.
>
> Somewhere there is an IPC (I think) standard for this which I came
> across several years ago but can't now find, I would be very grateful
> if someone could direct me to it.
>
> Best regards
>
> Colin

Its in: IPC-DRM-18 Component Identification Desk Reference Manual

Sample copy here:

http://www.dynamixtechnology.com/docs/ipc-drm-18fs.pdf

From: markp on
"Dennis" <invalid(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

> <colin_toogood(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> We're just starting to use a new CAD system which means that we can
>> standardise on PCB component id prefixes. At the moment engineers use
>> what they feel like, although if I tried using U1 instead of IC1 there
>> would be a revolt in our CAD dept.

Looks like you may have a revolt on your hands if they want to follow
ANSI/IEEE!

>> Somewhere there is an IPC (I think) standard for this which I came
>> across several years ago but can't now find, I would be very grateful
>> if someone could direct me to it.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Colin
>

> Its in: IPC-DRM-18 Component Identification Desk Reference Manual
>
> Sample copy here:
>
> http://www.dynamixtechnology.com/docs/ipc-drm-18fs.pdf

I'm not the OP, but this was useful information to me too. I have as it
happens been following ANSI/IEEE for the most part (I didn't know for
example an LED should be DS, I've just been using D). So thanks for this!

Mark.

From: Phil Hobbs on
markp wrote:
> "Dennis" <invalid(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> <colin_toogood(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello everyone.
>>>
>>> We're just starting to use a new CAD system which means that we can
>>> standardise on PCB component id prefixes. At the moment engineers use
>>> what they feel like, although if I tried using U1 instead of IC1 there
>>> would be a revolt in our CAD dept.
>
> Looks like you may have a revolt on your hands if they want to follow
> ANSI/IEEE!
>
>>> Somewhere there is an IPC (I think) standard for this which I came
>>> across several years ago but can't now find, I would be very grateful
>>> if someone could direct me to it.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> Its in: IPC-DRM-18 Component Identification Desk Reference Manual
>>
>> Sample copy here:
>>
>> http://www.dynamixtechnology.com/docs/ipc-drm-18fs.pdf
>>

> I'm not the OP, but this was useful information to me too. I have as it
> happens been following ANSI/IEEE for the most part (I didn't know for
> example an LED should be DS, I've just been using D). So thanks for this!
>
> Mark.

Ought to depend on what you're using it for. Back in the day, DS was
for 'DiSplay', but there are lots of uses for LEDs that have nothing to
do with displays. IR remotes, for instance, or switches with
controllable bias current.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: John Fields on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:09:59 -0700 (PDT), "colin_toogood(a)yahoo.com"
<colin_toogood(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>
>We're just starting to use a new CAD system which means that we can
>standardise on PCB component id prefixes. At the moment engineers use
>what they feel like, although if I tried using U1 instead of IC1 there
>would be a revolt in our CAD dept.
>
>Somewhere there is an IPC (I think) standard for this which I came
>across several years ago but can't now find, I would be very grateful
>if someone could direct me to it.
---

JF