From: Botticeli on
I checked the task manager and there are no programs working. This
happened after I saved huge amounts of files to an external hard
drive, a week ago.

All my programs run, now, slowly...

Any suggestions?

Windows XP, HP 512 Pentium 3

Thanks

Botticeli
From: Stefan Patric on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:59:51 -0700, Botticeli wrote:

> I checked the task manager and there are no programs working. This
> happened after I saved huge amounts of files to an external hard drive,
> a week ago.
>
> All my programs run, now, slowly...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Windows XP, HP 512 Pentium 3

Did you "move" the files to the new disk (originals get deleted) or just
copied them leaving the originals intact and in place. In any case, try
a disk cleaning and a reorg, if needed. With a big copy like you did, a
lot of temporary files can be created, which don't always get removed.
And, if the system drive gets too full, the whole system runs slower.

Stef
From: Steve Urbach on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Botticeli <jesusjacquez(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I checked the task manager and there are no programs working. This
>happened after I saved huge amounts of files to an external hard
>drive, a week ago.
>
>All my programs run, now, slowly...
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Windows XP, HP 512 Pentium 3
>
>Thanks
>
>Botticeli
Files Indexing may be enabled on a new drive. This runs in background for a
long time on a un-indexed drive.

From: Botticeli on
On May 12, 10:09 pm, Steve Urbach <dragonsc...(a)NOTmindspring.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Botticeli <jesusjacq...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I checked the task manager and there are no programs working. This
> >happened after I saved huge amounts of files to an external hard
> >drive, a week ago.
>
> >All my programs run, now, slowly...
>
> >Any suggestions?
>
> >Windows XP, HP 512 Pentium 3
>
> >Thanks
>
> >Botticeli
>
> Files Indexing may be enabled on a new drive. This runs in background for a
> long time on a un-indexed drive.

Thanks both for the comments... I think you are right and I will apply
the advice.

Botticeli
From: Botticeli on
On May 13, 6:36 am, Botticeli <jesusjacq...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 12, 10:09 pm, Steve Urbach <dragonsc...(a)NOTmindspring.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Botticeli <jesusjacq...(a)gmail..com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >I checked the task manager and there are no programs working. This
> > >happened after I saved huge amounts of files to an external hard
> > >drive, a week ago.
>
> > >All my programs run, now, slowly...
>
> > >Any suggestions?
>
> > >Windows XP, HP 512 Pentium 3
>
> > >Thanks
>
> > >Botticeli
>
> > Files Indexing may be enabled on a new drive. This runs in background for a
> > long time on a un-indexed drive.
>
> Thanks both for the comments... I think you are right and I will apply
> the advice.
>
> Botticeli- Hide quoted text -

Forgot to mention that I moved lots of files to a Passport external
drive and erased them in the computer. I did it because I was running
out of space.

thanks