From: Rich on
This sample does exactly what I need

Select yr, fName, grade,
Row_Number() Over (Partition By fName Order By yr) As Attempt
From #tmp1

note that I don't even need an identity column. The sample ddl is just
quicky test data to derive some Tsql to perform the desired operation.
Eventually, this will be a subquery of a larger query for reporting purposes.
The actual data table(s) meet relational design standards.

Do you think that making my data set into a fact table and using mdx queries
would be a better solution to my endeavor?