From: Fei Zhang on
I'm a little confused about the WFP api names, such as
FwpsCalloutRegister() and FwpmCalloutAdd(), what does 'Fwps' and 'Fwpm'
refer
to? Why don't they use the same prefix 'WFP', which is Windows Filtering
Platform?
Thanks in advance.
Fei Zhang

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5270 (20100711) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo on
"Fei Zhang" <zhangandfei(a)126.com> writes:

> I'm a little confused about the WFP api names, such as
> FwpsCalloutRegister() and FwpmCalloutAdd(), what does 'Fwps'
> and 'Fwpm' refer to?

Here it says FWPS is the Callout API and FWPM is the management API:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb427363(VS.85).aspx

So the M presumably refers to management. I don't know where the S
comes from.
From: Fei Zhang on
Thank you for your kind reply.
And what does "FW" mean? I belive it should be "WF", not "FW", Windows
Filtering. Is that right?
Thanks
Fei Zhang

From: Fei Zhang on
Management (FWPM) and Callout (FWPS) Data Types
Most FWPM data types, which are used for management tasks such as adding
filters or callouts from an application or driver, have FWPS counterparts.
The FWPS data types are used during the actual filtering of network traffic,
in the context of a callout routine for classification.
These api name should be with the prefix "WF" not "FW", in my option.