From: Eric Pozharski on
On 2009-11-09, Uri Guttman <uri(a)StemSystems.com> wrote:
> [...]
*SKIP*
> +> My ISP apparently provides relay but under another costlier plan!!
>
> that makes no sense.

How this? That makes a perfect sense -- think about it from ISP's POV.
The less features to implement the less expensive support (of those
features) is. My previous ISP has gone even farer -- they just
outsourced e-mail altogether (with me supposed to pay for anything more
than webmail).

> do they even provide a basic email account?

Why they would? Google fits everyone.

p.s. In fact, I pay for my e-mail; it's not that costly, but I pay.

From: Peter J. Holzer on
On 2009-11-09 09:45, ++imanshu <himanshu.garg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 11:03�pm, smallpond <smallp...(a)juno.com> wrote:
>> Installation instructions for Mail::Sendmail:
>>
>> "At the top of Sendmail.pm, set your default SMTP server(s),
>> unless you specify it with each message, or want to use the
>> default (localhost)."
>
> yes I wrongly assumed smtp to be so simple that the module alone could
> handle it without another server.

That doesn't make sense. A protocol specifies how two (or more) entities
talk to each other. In the case of a client/server protocol like SMTP,
how a client talks to a server. Since Mail::Sendmail implements an SMTP
client (it is used to send mail, not to receive it), it needs an SMTP
server to talk to.

> There were some EHLO, HELO strings
> in the pm file which reinforced my wrong assumption.

Of course the module contains these strings. It needs to send them to
the server.

hp
From: Steve C on
Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2009-11-09 09:45, ++imanshu <himanshu.garg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 11:03 pm, smallpond <smallp...(a)juno.com> wrote:
>>> Installation instructions for Mail::Sendmail:
>>>
>>> "At the top of Sendmail.pm, set your default SMTP server(s),
>>> unless you specify it with each message, or want to use the
>>> default (localhost)."
>> yes I wrongly assumed smtp to be so simple that the module alone could
>> handle it without another server.
>
> That doesn't make sense. A protocol specifies how two (or more) entities
> talk to each other. In the case of a client/server protocol like SMTP,
> how a client talks to a server. Since Mail::Sendmail implements an SMTP
> client (it is used to send mail, not to receive it), it needs an SMTP
> server to talk to.

It makes perfect sense. If you see a module called Sendmail, you think
Hunh. Maybe this module sends mail.
Don't beat up on the guy just for not knowing the guts of mail transport.
It's an easy mistake to make.

From: Peter J. Holzer on
On 2009-11-10 21:04, Steve C <smallpond(a)juno.com> wrote:
> Peter J. Holzer wrote:

>>> yes I wrongly assumed smtp to be so simple that the module alone could
>>> handle it without another server.
>>
>> That doesn't make sense. A protocol specifies how two (or more) entities
>> talk to each other. In the case of a client/server protocol like SMTP,
>> how a client talks to a server. Since Mail::Sendmail implements an SMTP
>> client (it is used to send mail, not to receive it), it needs an SMTP
>> server to talk to.
>
> It makes perfect sense. If you see a module called Sendmail, you think
> Hunh. Maybe this module sends mail.

That's what it does. It sends mail. So it's a client. Now you need
something which receives mail. This is called an SMTP server.

> Don't beat up on the guy just for not knowing the guts of mail transport.

He knows enough to recognize EHLO as an SMTP keyword.

hp
From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-usenet2(a)hjp.at>:
> On 2009-11-09 09:45, ++imanshu <himanshu.garg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 8, 11:03�pm, smallpond <smallp...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> >> Installation instructions for Mail::Sendmail:
> >>
> >> "At the top of Sendmail.pm, set your default SMTP server(s),
> >> unless you specify it with each message, or want to use the
> >> default (localhost)."
> >
> > yes I wrongly assumed smtp to be so simple that the module alone could
> > handle it without another server.
>
> That doesn't make sense. A protocol specifies how two (or more) entities
> talk to each other. In the case of a client/server protocol like SMTP,
> how a client talks to a server. Since Mail::Sendmail implements an SMTP
> client (it is used to send mail, not to receive it), it needs an SMTP
> server to talk to.

It's not a priori obvious that Mail::Sendmail can't (and shouldn't)
perform MX lookups and deliver the mail directly to the appropriate
mailhost. OTOH, I would say anyone who *doesn't* know this (and why)
should not be writing programs which send mail...

Ben