From: L. on
desktop and laptop both running winXP (sp3).
Have not set up sharing between the two.
Printer (hp5220) connected to desktop.
Went into CP, Printers and set printer to share.

On laptop went to CP, Printers and have tried to add printer with no luck.
Let system scan for new printer(Add Printer Wizard) and the only thing that
comes up in Shared printers is MS Windows Network.

Any suggestion on where to start... I thought there is a way to share the
printer w/o the need to set up a network between the two systems.

thanks,

From: Don Phillipson on
"L." <l(a)yahooie.org> wrote in message

> ... I thought there is a way to share the
> printer w/o the need to set up a network between the two systems.

There is usually another way. (Most tasks the manufacturer truly
believes impossible are usually done sooner or later by someone
else.) But the practical question is how fast and how cheaply
a task can be done. The fast way to share one printer between
two PCs is to create a network of all three.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Lem on
On 5/26/2010 10:17 PM, L. wrote:
> desktop and laptop both running winXP (sp3).
> Have not set up sharing between the two.
> Printer (hp5220) connected to desktop.
> Went into CP, Printers and set printer to share.
>
> On laptop went to CP, Printers and have tried to add printer with no luck.
> Let system scan for new printer(Add Printer Wizard) and the only thing that
> comes up in Shared printers is MS Windows Network.
>
> Any suggestion on where to start... I thought there is a way to share the
> printer w/o the need to set up a network between the two systems.
>
> thanks,

Not to be facetious, but if you haven't connected the two computers in
some way, how do you expect to share a resource on one computer (the
printer) with the other computer?

You *do* need a network in order to access shared resources. The easiest
way is to use a router to which both computers are connected, but you
could also connect the computers directly.

Assuming that the computers are physically connected to each other or to
a common router, run the "Network Setup Wizard" on both computers. Make
sure that any non-Windows firewalls are properly configured to allow LAN
traffic.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: