From: Micha Feigin on
How do I convert a wxString to char *?

I keep getting the error can't convert wxChar * to char *.
I tried c_str, fn_str and anything else I could find.

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Vaclav Slavik on
Micha Feigin wrote:
> I keep getting the error can't convert wxChar * to char *.
> I tried c_str, fn_str and anything else I could find.

mb_str().

Regards,
VS

--
PGP key: 0x465264C9, available from http://pgp.mit.edu/
From: "Greg Hellings" on
It might be nice to include an overload of the casting operator in the
class, so this problem can be handled automatically?

From: Preben Friis on
"Micha Feigin" <michf(a)post.tau.ac.il> wrote in message
> How do I convert a wxString to char *?
>
> I keep getting the error can't convert wxChar * to char *.
> I tried c_str, fn_str and anything else I could find.

Do you really need to convert it to a non-const char*? The normal operator
overloading works for const char*

/Preben Friis

From: Micha Feigin on
On Fri, 11 May 2007 01:00:13 +0200
"Preben Friis" <noone(a)technologist.com> wrote:

> "Micha Feigin" <michf(a)post.tau.ac.il> wrote in message
> > How do I convert a wxString to char *?
> >
> > I keep getting the error can't convert wxChar * to char *.
> > I tried c_str, fn_str and anything else I could find.
>
> Do you really need to convert it to a non-const char*? The normal operator
> overloading works for const char*

It has the same problem of c_str of converting to wxChar which is a char in
non-unicode build but wchar in unicode build. Took me some to time to find out
that under visual studio 2005 it inherited unicode and _unicode for some reason
which made it thing it was a unicode build even when it wasn't.

To your second question, I do need a char * and not a const char * since I need
to build a vector (stl) of char * to pass to an external function. I ended up
doing a non-unicode build and using strncpy. I don't think it's a good solution
but it's a piece of code used for QA so it's not worth the trouble looking for
a better one at the moment (although I'd be happy to know what is the correct
way to do this next time I have to do it in production code).