From: David Mehler on
Hello,
I've got dates stored in a mysql database. The field is of type date
so the value is something like: "2010-09-29" I'm wanting to display
them as in U.S. dates as in month, day, year. I had a function that
did this, now it is not working and I am perplexed as to why. Here's
my echo statement:

<?php echo sqlDateFormat($row['date']); ?>

The $row['date'] is coming out of the mysql database. Here's the
sqlDateFormat function:

function sqlDateFormat($value) {
$date = $value;
$date = strtotime($date);
$date = date('m-d-y', $date);
return $date;
}

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to why this isn't working.
Thanks.
Dave.
From: Adam Richardson on
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've got dates stored in a mysql database. The field is of type date
> so the value is something like: "2010-09-29" I'm wanting to display
> them as in U.S. dates as in month, day, year. I had a function that
> did this, now it is not working and I am perplexed as to why. Here's
> my echo statement:
>
> <?php echo sqlDateFormat($row['date']); ?>
>
> The $row['date'] is coming out of the mysql database. Here's the
> sqlDateFormat function:
>
> function sqlDateFormat($value) {
> $date = $value;
> $date = strtotime($date);
> $date = date('m-d-y', $date);
> return $date;
> }
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions as to why this isn't working.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

What's being echoed out?

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com
From: Steve Staples on
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/func_date_format.asp

when you do your select, "SELECT DATE_FORMAT(`field_name`,'%b %d %Y %h:
%i %p') AS 'field_name'"

which would yield you the field "field_name":
'Nov 04 2008 11:45 PM'

would be easier to do it there, rather than in your PHP... and you can
change the date_format in your query via PHP if you need to change it on
the fly...

if the dates were in UNIX TIME, you can do it like:
SELECT DATE_FORMAT(FROM_UNIXTIME(`field_name_in_unix_timestamp`),'%b %d

Steve