From: AussieRules on
Hi,

I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the
idea is i can play around with one, and not effect the original..

is it as easy as just using file explorer to copy the directory from say
c:\project1 to c:\project2... or do the project files like forms etc have
paths in them and therefore I can't just copy like this..

thanks

From: PvdG42 on

"AussieRules" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the
> idea is i can play around with one, and not effect the original..
>
> is it as easy as just using file explorer to copy the directory from say
> c:\project1 to c:\project2... or do the project files like forms etc have
> paths in them and therefore I can't just copy like this..
>
> thanks

That will depend on the project type(s) and what you may have done to make
it portable. As an example, if you are using a database file, the connection
you created has a hard coded path to the file by default. Replacing the path
in app.config with

|Data Directory|

makes the file accessible from any project location.

Make sure the solution you want to copy is not open in VS. Make a copy of
the entire solution folder in your preferred location and open it in VS to
see what, if anything, needs fixing.