From: Gary R. Hook on
polymod wrote:
> "gray asphalt" <dontwrite(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There are a bunch of CDs sitting in my room
>> produced/distributed by PILZ. The orchestra
>> that did most of them is from a country that
>> doesn't exist anymore. - bosnia hertzogovina
>> thing. Pilz is apparently out of business. Can
>> I make copies of the CDs w/o breaking a US
>> or foreign copyright law?
>>
>> This is why I started listening to Wagner -
>> weird I decided to not get caught up in his
>> music, but I had some CDs already, so I
>> listened and now his music is just too cool.
>
> If it were me, I'd try to find who owns the copyright to the best of my
> ability. If no info were found, I'd make the copies and make a donation to
> the charity of my choice.

Being out of business has nothing to do with the existence of the
copyright.

If you're that enthusiastic about the music, find other performances
of the pieces and buy new CDs for your friends. That way you're
supporting artists while being legal.
From: gray asphalt on

"Gary R. Hook" <obfuscate(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> polymod wrote:
>> "gray asphalt" <dontwrite(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> There are a bunch of CDs sitting in my room
>>> produced/distributed by PILZ. The orchestra
>>> that did most of them is from a country that
>>> doesn't exist anymore. - bosnia hertzogovina
>>> thing. Pilz is apparently out of business. Can
>>> I make copies of the CDs w/o breaking a US
>>> or foreign copyright law?
>>>
>>> This is why I started listening to Wagner -
>>> weird I decided to not get caught up in his
>>> music, but I had some CDs already, so I
>>> listened and now his music is just too cool.
>>
>> If it were me, I'd try to find who owns the copyright to the best of my
>> ability. If no info were found, I'd make the copies and make a donation
>> the charity of my choice.
>
> Being out of business has nothing to do with the existence of the
> copyright.

> If you're that enthusiastic about the music, find other performances
> of the pieces and buy new CDs for your friends. That way you're
> supporting artists while being legal.

Not really enthusiastic yet. I bought 100 +- CDs for $1 each.
I haven't even listened to most of them but now I'm starting
to really enjoy these that I bought over 15 years ago.