From: gray asphalt on
There are a bunch of CDs sitting in my room
produced/distributed by PILZ. The orchestra
that did most of them is from a country that
doesn't exist anymore. - bosnia hertzogovina
thing. Pilz is apparently out of business. Can
I make copies of the CDs w/o breaking a US
or foreign copyright law?

This is why I started listening to Wagner -
weird I decided to not get caught up in his
music, but I had some CDs already, so I
listened and now his music is just too cool.

From: Neil Rutman on
Make copies to sell? Only if you get permission from the current copyright
holder. Copies just for yourself? I hope the feds have something better to
do than bust you for that!!

Neil R

From: gray asphalt on

"Neil Rutman" <neilrut(a)speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> Make copies to sell? Only if you get permission from the current copyright
> holder. Copies just for yourself? I hope the feds have something better to
> do than bust you for that!!

To give away a couple of copies to friends.
The CDs were about $3 retail back in the 80s
I'm wondering if anyone has a
copyright. The Czech national orchestra? Maybe
someone bought out Pilz but there isn't any info
at all on the internet. I have an overactive conscience
I guess but I will feel a little guilty.

From: Netmask on
On 13/02/2010 04:47, gray asphalt wrote:
> "Neil Rutman"<neilrut(a)speakeasy.net> wrote in message
>> Make copies to sell? Only if you get permission from the current copyright
>> holder. Copies just for yourself? I hope the feds have something better to
>> do than bust you for that!!
>
> To give away a couple of copies to friends.
> The CDs were about $3 retail back in the 80s
> I'm wondering if anyone has a
> copyright. The Czech national orchestra? Maybe
> someone bought out Pilz but there isn't any info
> at all on the internet. I have an overactive conscience
> I guess but I will feel a little guilty.

console yourself with a quip from a wit from the 20th Century

"I don't believe in principles!

Principles are merely the excuses we make not to do those things we know
we ought to do

or

to do those things we know we ought not to do!"

Get on with it and make a few copies for your close friends and pssst!
don't tell anyone their names and addresses.... lest the ghosts of the
bosnia hertzogovina copyright police come after you...
From: polymod on

"gray asphalt" <dontwrite(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> There are a bunch of CDs sitting in my room
> produced/distributed by PILZ. The orchestra
> that did most of them is from a country that
> doesn't exist anymore. - bosnia hertzogovina
> thing. Pilz is apparently out of business. Can
> I make copies of the CDs w/o breaking a US
> or foreign copyright law?
>
> This is why I started listening to Wagner -
> weird I decided to not get caught up in his
> music, but I had some CDs already, so I
> listened and now his music is just too cool.

If it were me, I'd try to find who owns the copyright to the best of my
ability. If no info were found, I'd make the copies and make a donation to
the charity of my choice.

Poly