From: Phlip on
On Jan 20, 11:20 pm, Michele Simionato <michele.simion...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> pylint does too many things, I want something fast that just counts
> the lines and can be run on thousands of files at once.
> cloc seems fine, I have just tried on 2,000 files and it gives me a
> report in just a few seconds.

In my experience with Python codebases that big...

....how many of those lines are duplicated, and might merge together
into a better design?

The LOC would go down, too.

--
Phlip
From: Aahz on
In article <7e09df6a-cda1-480e-a971-8f8a70ac4118(a)b9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Phlip <phlip2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 20, 11:20=A0pm, Michele Simionato <michele.simion...(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> pylint does too many things, I want something fast that just counts
>> the lines and can be run on thousands of files at once.
>> cloc seems fine, I have just tried on 2,000 files and it gives me a
>> report in just a few seconds.
>
>In my experience with Python codebases that big...
>
>...how many of those lines are duplicated, and might merge together
>into a better design?

Um... do you have any clue who you followed up to? If you don't, Google
is your friend.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

import antigravity
From: Phlip on
Aahz wrote:
> In article <7e09df6a-cda1-480e-a971-8f8a70ac4118(a)b9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> Phlip <phlip2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 11:20=A0pm, Michele Simionato <michele.simion...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> pylint does too many things, I want something fast that just counts
>>> the lines and can be run on thousands of files at once.
>>> cloc seems fine, I have just tried on 2,000 files and it gives me a
>>> report in just a few seconds.
>> In my experience with Python codebases that big...
>>
>> ...how many of those lines are duplicated, and might merge together
>> into a better design?
>
> Um... do you have any clue who you followed up to? If you don't, Google
> is your friend.

Oh, sorry, did I have the wrong opinion?
From: Robert Kern on
On 2010-01-21 15:31 , Phlip wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>> In article
>> <7e09df6a-cda1-480e-a971-8f8a70ac4118(a)b9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
>> Phlip <phlip2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In my experience with Python codebases that big...
>>>
>>> ...how many of those lines are duplicated, and might merge together
>>> into a better design?
>>
>> Um... do you have any clue who you followed up to? If you don't, Google
>> is your friend.
>
> Oh, sorry, did I have the wrong opinion?

You had a condescending attitude.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: Michele Simionato on
On Jan 21, 9:24 pm, Phlip <phlip2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 11:20 pm, Michele Simionato <michele.simion...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > pylint does too many things, I want something fast that just counts
> > the lines and can be run on thousands of files at once.
> > cloc seems fine, I have just tried on 2,000 files and it gives me a
> > report in just a few seconds.
>
> In my experience with Python codebases that big...
>
> ...how many of those lines are duplicated, and might merge together
> into a better design?
>
> The LOC would go down, too.

Actually 2,000 files is a very small portion of our code base, the one
I am working on now. I have spent the last couple of months on a big
refactoring project (which is still only at the beginning) and I
wanted to count the difference between the lines of code before the
refactoring and after the refactoring. I guess the new code is less
than half than the old one. There was no cut and paste in the old code
but a lot of subtle duplication, i.e. a code that could be unified in
common libraries, but only after a lot of grunt work. The core parts
were written 10 years ago, with a wrong architecture starting from the
beginning, and then things started growing and growing on that
monster. Just for fun I have run cloc on our trunk:

Language files blank comment code scale 3rd
gen. equiv
C++ 1528 67150 48251 304365 x 1.51 =
459591.15
XML 560 2769 2517 223223 x 1.90 =
424123.70
ASP 731 40136 4630 216713 x 1.29 =
279559.77
Python 2027 38825 47261 179532 x 4.20 =
754034.40
C/C++ Header 2150 51352 72619 141356 x 1.00 =
141356.00
Javascript 153 26196 9819 115311 x 1.48 =
170660.28
C 332 14147 12871 97918 x 0.77
= 75396.86
SQL 426 16432 4214 93598 x 2.29 =
214339.42
CSS 110 1493 1013 23087 x 1.00
= 23087.00
C# 83 3301 1990 19827 x 1.36
= 26964.72
Visual Basic 35 4363 5927 14633 x 2.76
= 40387.08
make 259 1617 650 8339 x 2.50
= 20847.50
Bourne Shell 52 598 1282 6557 x 3.81
= 24982.17
m4 28 611 627 5612 x 1.00
= 5612.00
IDL 23 560 0 3895 x 3.80
= 14801.00
HTML 33 354 76 3834 x 1.90
= 7284.60
MSBuild scripts 3 2 7 3419 x 1.90
= 6496.10
Lisp 33 562 648 2695 x 1.25
= 3368.75
Ruby 13 272 97 1141 x 4.20
= 4792.20
DOS Batch 77 790 410 1034 x 0.63
= 651.42
Java 4 148 181 972 x 1.36
= 1321.92
Perl 6 104 131 922 x 4.00
= 3688.00
XSD 6 0 0 506 x 1.90
= 961.40
awk 5 65 17 366 x 3.81
= 1394.46
DTD 4 117 50 351 x 1.90
= 666.90
ASP.Net 36 153 561 280 x 1.29
= 361.20
Bourne Again Shell 12 63 8 245 x 3.81
= 933.45
XSLT 1 15 14 196 x 1.90
= 372.40
NAnt scripts 3 27 0 119 x 1.90
= 226.10
Teamcenter def 10 16 0 93 x 1.00
= 93.00
SUM: 8743 272238 215871 1470139 x 1.84 =
2708354.95