From: klh84 on
I am trying to place a number next to an item for every time it appears, any
suggestions?

ex:
apple 1
orange 1
grape 1
apple 2
apple 3
orange 2
kiwi 1
From: T. Valko on
Assuming your data starts in cell A1, enter this formula in B1 and copy down
as needed:

=COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Gary''s Student on
In B1 enter 1
in B2 enter:
=COUNTIF(A$1:A2,A2) and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

From: Pete_UK on
Put this in B1:

=COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)

and copy down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 25, 6:53 pm, klh84 <kl...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am trying to place a number next to an item for every time it appears, any
> suggestions?
>
> ex:
> apple     1
> orange   1