From: Ruben Safir on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 04:23:15 -0600, brian d foy wrote:

>> I have a new distro of openSuse and cpan seems to be not working.
>>
>> I'm getting weird errors like this
>
> Check the configuration. It looks like you haven't setup things
> correctly.

Thanks Brian

I did check and it looks right. I just ./cpan file and no change. I
then downloaded perl 5.10.1 and compiled it by hand. It had a problem
with the ODBM module which I did a work around (actually I just pulled it
from the make file). Then cpan worked great. But now there is another
problem. YaST is dependent on perl 5.10.0 and yast doesn't work
correctly.

The SuSE version (5.10.0) has these paths

/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i586-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl

And there is a who bunch of stuff in the vendor section for Yast

and then the new version has these paths

/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/i686-linux-thread-multi-ld
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/i686-linux-thread-multi-ld
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1

This problem with cpan has now snowballed into a system wide
issue...which sux.

Any thoughts on a fix. Can I just cp the vender directory to the
site_perl/5.10.1 or will that cause more chaos

Ruben
From: Mumia W. on
On 12/21/2009 05:02 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 04:23:15 -0600, brian d foy wrote:
>

>>> I have a new distro of openSuse and cpan seems to be not working.
>>>
>>> I'm getting weird errors like this
>> Check the configuration. It looks like you haven't setup things
>> correctly.
>
> Thanks Brian
>
> I did check and it looks right. I just ./cpan file and no change. I
> then downloaded perl 5.10.1 and compiled it by hand. It had a problem
> with the ODBM module which I did a work around (actually I just pulled it
> from the make file). Then cpan worked great. But now there is another
> problem. YaST is dependent on perl 5.10.0 and yast doesn't work
> correctly.
>
> The SuSE version (5.10.0) has these paths
> [...]

The two versions of Perl may conflict--especially if they are both
available through the $PATH. Rename the new Perl interpreter to
something like /usr/local/bin/perl5.10.1 ; however, I'm not completely
convinced that you need a self-compiled version of Perl.

I was hoping that your problems would be fixed by Steve C.'s advice of
removing ~/.cpan, but you never said what the result of taking that
advice was.

From: Ruben Safir on
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:02:50 -0600, Mumia W. wrote:

>>> Check the configuration. It looks like you haven't setup things
>>> correctly.
>>
>> Thanks Brian
>>
>> I did check and it looks right. I just ./cpan file and no change. I
>> then downloaded perl 5.10.1 and compiled it by hand. It had a problem
>> with the ODBM module which I did a work around (actually I just pulled
>> it from the make file). Then cpan worked great. But now there is
>> another problem. YaST is dependent on perl 5.10.0 and yast doesn't
>> work correctly.
>>
>> The SuSE version (5.10.0) has these paths [...]
>
> The two versions of Perl may conflict--especially if they are both
> available through the $PATH. Rename the new Perl interpreter to
> something like /usr/local/bin/perl5.10.1 ; however, I'm not completely
> convinced that you need a self-compiled version of Perl.
>
> I was hoping that your problems would be fixed by Steve C.'s advice of
> removing ~/.cpan, but you never said what the result of taking that
> advice was.

Mumia -

Sorry about not being clear enough. The first thing I did when there was
a problem was that you did an rm -rf ./.cpan on /root