From: Lie Ryan on
On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:
> On 2010-03-02 13:14:50 -0800, R Fritz <rfritz(a)u.washington.edu> said:

>>> Please search the mailing list archives.
>>>
>>> This subject has been discussed to absolute death.
>>
>> But somehow the question is not in the FAQ, though the answer is. See:
>>
>> <http://www.python.org/doc/faq/library/#how-do-i-find-a-module-or-application-to-perform-task-x>
>>

> There
> is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl. It is used for
> searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from the CPAN
> repository. It's far more extensive than setuptools. AFAIK the python
> community has developed nothing like it.

python have easy_install

From: John Bokma on
Lie Ryan <lie.1296(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:

[..]

>> There
>> is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl. It is used for
>> searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from the CPAN
>> repository. It's far more extensive than setuptools. AFAIK the python
>> community has developed nothing like it.
>
> python have easy_install

How easy is it to /remove/ something? ;-) (Last time I checked I read
something like "manually remove the .egg"...

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Ben Finney on
Lie Ryan <lie.1296(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:
> > There is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl. It is
> > used for searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from
> > the CPAN repository. It's far more extensive than setuptools. AFAIK
> > the python community has developed nothing like it.
>
> python have easy_install

Indeed. And that program is nothing like the Perl 'cpan' program.

--
\ “Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. |
`\ “Don't bother us with politics,” respond those who don't want |
From: TomF on
On 2010-03-02 19:59:01 -0800, Lie Ryan <lie.1296(a)gmail.com> said:

> On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:

>>> But somehow the question is not in the FAQ, though the answer is. See:
>>>
>>> <http://www.python.org/doc/faq/library/#how-do-i-find-a-module-or-application-to-perform-task-x>

There

>> is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl. It is used for
>> searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from the CPAN
>> repository. It's far more extensive than setuptools. AFAIK the python
>> community has developed nothing like it.
>
> python have easy_install

easy_install is part of setuptools. As I said, nothing like cpan.

-Tom

From: John Gabriele on
On Mar 2, 11:58 pm, John Bokma <j...(a)castleamber.com> wrote:
> Lie Ryan <lie.1...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> >> There
> >> is also a program called cpan, distributed with Perl.  It is used for
> >> searching, downloading, installing and testing modules from the CPAN
> >> repository.  It's far more extensive than setuptools.  AFAIK the python
> >> community has developed nothing like it.
>
> > python have easy_install
>
> How easy is it to /remove/ something? ;-) (Last time I checked I read
> something like "manually remove the .egg"...

Have a look at [pip](http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pip). It should
support uninstalling packages.

---John