From: John Bokma on
John Gabriele <jmg3000(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 2, 11:58 pm, John Bokma <j...(a)castleamber.com> wrote:
>> Lie Ryan <lie.1...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> > On 03/03/2010 09:47 AM, TomF wrote:
>>
>> [..]

>> > python have easy_install
>>
>> How easy is it to /remove/ something? ;-) (Last time I checked I read
>> something like "manually remove the .egg"...
>>

> Have a look at [pip](http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pip). It should
> support uninstalling packages.

Thanks John. However:

"Known exceptions include pure-distutils packages installed with
python setup.py install"

I want to remove something that I installed that way (because it's
installation procedure seems to be broken; opensocial) I understand that
this can't be blamed on pip, but it's odd that in this century it's
still hard to install/uninstall modules :-(

--
John Bokma j3b

From: mk on
John Bokma wrote:
> I want to remove something that I installed that way (because it's
> installation procedure seems to be broken; opensocial) I understand that
> this can't be blamed on pip, but it's odd that in this century it's
> still hard to install/uninstall modules :-(

Have you looked in a file easy-install.pth in site-packages? In my
experience it's enough to delete the line for package from there and
delete package's egg or directory.

I agree that this is kind of backward, though.

Regards,
mk

From: Ben Finney on
John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com> writes:

> I want to remove something that I installed [with its Distutils build
> system] (because it's installation procedure seems to be broken;
> opensocial) I understand that this can't be blamed on pip, but it's
> odd that in this century it's still hard to install/uninstall modules
> :-(

That's because of the last-century legacy of Distutils's design.

--
\ “Imagine a world without hypothetical situations.” —anonymous |
`\ |
From: Kushal Kumaran on

Try PyPI. http://pypi.python.org/pypi

--
regards,
kushal
From: Philip Semanchuk on

On Mar 30, 2010, at 12:23 PM, Someone Something wrote:

> Hi,
> I've learned python a few months ago but I still use Perl because of
> CPAN and the tremendous amount of stuff that's already been done for
> you. is there something like CPAN for python?

Yes and no, depending on what CPAN means to you. This question come up
often; have a look in the archives. Here's one thread on the topic
from last month:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/ecd51ced8d24593e/f773e080024862cb?lnk=gst&q=cpan#f773e080024862cb