From: neddie on
Hi to all. Hope I've come to the right place.
I've got an old zip file(> 10 years old , maybe even 15) that I can't
remember the password for.
I do have 2 of the files in an unencrypted form , so some sort of
planetext attack is what I think I
need to do.
From what I've read on the net it's a pkzip V2.xx something file.
These are the first few bytes.
05 4B 03 14 00 01 00 08
I've managed to find a few old versions of PKzip , but no matter how I
try to encrypt(without password)
the 2 unencrypted files , I can't get the first few bytes to be the
same. I'm using AZPR to do the
planetext attack and it's not happy with the encryption of the 2
files. It comes up with "No matching files
in selected archive.....etc"
The encrypted file that is not password protected looks like
this(first few bytes) : 50 4B 03 14 00 00 00 08
Trying various methods of encryption I get the 6'th byte to be 02 ,
04, 06 , but I can't get it to be 01 like the origonal.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Am I even on the right track?
Cheers
Rob
From: Keith on
On 31/05/2010 14:16, neddie wrote:

> Hi to all. Hope I've come to the right place.
> I've got an old zip file(> 10 years old , maybe even 15) that I can't
> remember the password for.

Try one of these:

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/analysis/pkcrack.zip
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/analysis/zipcrk20.zip
ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/cryptanalysis/fzc104.zip

HTH.
From: jmorton123 on
If you might be thinking about a brute force attack using a
commercially available product:
forget about it if you used a password of more than about 7 characters
because it will
take nearly forever to run through all the possiblities. I think you
can use upper case
and lower case letters and digits for sure, maybe even ascii symbols.

So at a minimum we're talking about base 62. And a 7 character string
in base 58
provides 3.52e+12 combinations. Then it goes up from there.

I had the same problem except I password zipped my source code for my
freeware at
KingKonglomerate.com. I had to rewrite it all and it took me months
but it turned out
exceptionally well and maybe it was a good thing it happened.

So for anyone else out there: if you ever encrypt something you
better be absolutely sure
you will never lose the password or it will be gone forever.

JM

From: neddie on
On Jun 2, 8:12 am, jmorton123 <jmorton...(a)rock.com> wrote:
> If you might be thinking about a brute force attack using a
> commercially available product:
> forget about it if you used a password of more than about 7 characters
> because it will
> take nearly forever to run through all the possiblities.  I think you
> can use upper case
> and lower case letters and digits for sure, maybe even ascii symbols.
>
> So at a minimum we're talking about base 62.  And a 7 character string
> in base 58
> provides 3.52e+12 combinations.  Then it goes up from there.
>
> I had the same problem except I password zipped my source code for my
> freeware at
> KingKonglomerate.com.  I had to rewrite it all and it took me months
> but it turned out
> exceptionally well and maybe it was a good thing it happened.
>
> So for anyone else out there:  if you ever encrypt something you
> better be absolutely sure
> you will never lose the password or it will be gone forever.
>
> JM
>
> On May 31, 6:16 am, neddie <seegoo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi to all. Hope I've come to the right place.
> > I've got an old zip file(> 10 years old , maybe even 15) that I can't
> > remember the password for.
> > I do have 2 of the files in an unencrypted form , so some sort of
> > planetext attack is what I think I
> > need to do.
> > From what I've read on the net it's a pkzip V2.xx something file.
> > These are the first few bytes.
> > 05 4B 03 14 00 01 00 08
> > I've managed to find a few old versions of PKzip , but no matter how I
> > try to encrypt(without password)
> > the 2 unencrypted files , I can't get the first few bytes to be the
> > same. I'm using AZPR to do the
> > planetext attack and it's not happy with the encryption of the 2
> > files. It comes up with "No matching files
> > in selected archive.....etc"
> > The encrypted file that is not password protected looks like
> > this(first few bytes) : 50 4B 03 14 00 00 00 08
> > Trying various methods of encryption I get the 6'th byte to be 02 ,
> > 04, 06 , but I can't get it to be 01 like the origonal.
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> > Am I even on the right track?
> > Cheers
> > Rob

I managed to get it in the end. I just had to find the correct
version of pkzip to encrypt
the 2 files for a plain text atack.I never make my password easy so I
knew a bruteforce attack
was out of the question. I was correct as it happens , the password
was 18 charaterss with small
letters and numbers.Even at 20000000 passwords/sec it's more than 16e
+12 YEARS!!
That's not even in the realms of quantum computing!!!