From: Dipesh_Sharma on
Hi,
I want to create an application which on passing a user id & password will
create that user on windows 2003 AD server. I used netuseradd API to do this,
but was not able to create user on AD server & boot my system with that user.
CAn anybody please help me do this. if i am doing right what could be the
problem. i am getting unknown user type error. i found few scripts but they
need to be run on server itself not on remote system in network.

Thanks
From: Paul Clement on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:13:25 -0700, Dipesh_Sharma <DipeshSharma(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

� Hi,
� I want to create an application which on passing a user id & password will
� create that user on windows 2003 AD server. I used netuseradd API to do this,
� but was not able to create user on AD server & boot my system with that user.
� CAn anybody please help me do this. if i am doing right what could be the
� problem. i am getting unknown user type error. i found few scripts but they
� need to be run on server itself not on remote system in network.

� Thanks

A little more detail would help. Are you creating a domain user or a system local user? Does the
error occur when you attempt to log on to the server interactively? What is the exact error message?

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Jim Mack on
Dipesh_Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to create an application which on passing a user id &
> password will create that user on windows 2003 AD server. I used
> netuseradd API to do this, but was not able to create user on AD
> server & boot my system with that user. CAn anybody please help me
> do this. if i am doing right what could be the problem. i am
> getting unknown user type error. i found few scripts but they need
> to be run on server itself not on remote system in network.

Perhaps you could post the VB6 code you're using now, and we can spot
a problem...

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

From: Dipesh_Sharma on
Hi Paul,
Thnx for replying. I am creating a domain user on msd.com, not a local user
on client machine, through a client machine with following code. Sometime the
error was related to path not found, and sometime logon failure. Please
review the code and correct it so that it can create the user on windows
server.
I am using following code:::::
xi_strServerName = "virtual-server" 'netbios name, i also used domain name
msd.com here
xi_strUserName = "newuser"
xi_strUserFullName = "test newuser"
xi_strPassword = "user(a)123"
xi_strUserComment = "test user"
p_lngFlags = UF_NORMAL_ACCOUNT Or UF_SCRIPT Or UF_DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWD
WriteLog "staging in AD user..."
' ------------------------------------------
' Create byte arrays to avoid Unicode hassles
' ------------------------------------------
p_abytServerName = xi_strServerName & vbNullChar
p_abytUserName = xi_strUserName & vbNullChar
p_abytUserFullName = xi_strUserFullName & vbNullChar
p_abytPassword = xi_strPassword & vbNullChar
p_abytUserComment = xi_strUserComment & vbNullChar
' ------------------------------------------
' Get pointers to the byte arrays
' ------------------------------------------
p_lngPtrUserName = VarPtr(p_abytUserName(0))
p_lngPtrUserFullName = VarPtr(p_abytUserFullName(0))
p_lngPtrPassword = VarPtr(p_abytPassword(0))
p_lngPtrUserComment = VarPtr(p_abytUserComment(0))
With p_typUserInfo3
.usri3_acct_expires = TIMEQ_FOREVER ' Never expires
.usri3_comment = p_lngPtrUserComment ' Comment
.usri3_flags = p_lngFlags ' There are a number of variations
.usri3_full_name = p_lngPtrUserFullName ' User's full name
.usri3_max_storage = USER_MAXSTORAGE_UNLIMITED ' Can use any amount of
disk space
.usri3_name = p_lngPtrUserName ' Name of user account
.usri3_password = p_lngPtrPassword ' Password for user account
.usri3_primary_group_id = DOMAIN_GROUP_RID_USERS ' You MUST use this
constant for NetUserAdd
.usri3_script_path = 0& ' Path of user's logon script
.usri3_auth_flags = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_bad_pw_count = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_code_page = 0& ' Code page for user's language
.usri3_country_code = 0& ' Country code for user's language
.usri3_home_dir = 0& ' Can specify path of home directory of
this
'user
.usri3_home_dir_drive = 0& ' Drive letter assign to user's
'profile
.usri3_last_logoff = 0& ' Not needed when adding a user
.usri3_last_logon = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_logon_hours = 0& ' Null means no restrictions
.usri3_logon_server = 0& ' Null means logon to domain server
.usri3_num_logons = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_parms = 0& ' Used by specific applications
.usri3_password_age = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_password_expired = 0& ' None-zero means user must change
password at next logon
.usri3_priv = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_profile = 0& ' Path to a user's profile
.usri3_units_per_week = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_user_id = 0& ' Ignored by NetUserAdd
.usri3_usr_comment = 0& ' User comment
.usri3_workstations = 0& ' Workstations a user can log onto (null
= all stations)
End With
WriteLog "creating AD user from NetUserAdd..."
Dim objComputer
Dim strComputer As String

p_lngRtn = NetUserAdd(p_abytServerName(0), _
3, p_typUserInfo3, p_lngParamErr)

'code ends

From: Dipesh_Sharma on
Hi Jim,
Thnx for replying. I am creating a domain user on msd.com through a client
machine with following code. Please review the code and correct it so that it

"Jim Mack" wrote:

> Dipesh_Sharma wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to create an application which on passing a user id &
> > password will create that user on windows 2003 AD server. I used
> > netuseradd API to do this, but was not able to create user on AD
> > server & boot my system with that user. CAn anybody please help me
> > do this. if i am doing right what could be the problem. i am
> > getting unknown user type error. i found few scripts but they need
> > to be run on server itself not on remote system in network.
>
> Perhaps you could post the VB6 code you're using now, and we can spot
> a problem...
>
> --
> Jim Mack
> Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc