From: Mick Henn on
Very simple question here.

I'm implementing a process whereby I need to ask an operator to change both
the name and format of a file. The format must change from .csv to .txt

If i ask them to simply change the file extension while changing the name
rather than opening the file > save as > etc. is there any possibility of a
loss of data integrity?

The .csv file will contain a list of 32 alphanumeric characters separated
into 8 blocks of 4 by 7 dashes “-“.

Having tested this with a some codes and it seems to work fine. I just want
to make sure that I have all bases covered as these codes are business
critical and my job wouldn't be worth getting this one wrong!

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated!

From: Billns on
On 4/8/2010 8:00 AM, Mick Henn wrote:
> Very simple question here.
>
> I'm implementing a process whereby I need to ask an operator to change both
> the name and format of a file. The format must change from .csv to .txt
>
> If i ask them to simply change the file extension while changing the name
> rather than opening the file> save as> etc. is there any possibility of a
> loss of data integrity?
>
> The .csv file will contain a list of 32 alphanumeric characters separated
> into 8 blocks of 4 by 7 dashes “-“.
>
> Having tested this with a some codes and it seems to work fine. I just want
> to make sure that I have all bases covered as these codes are business
> critical and my job wouldn't be worth getting this one wrong!
>
> Any input you have would be greatly appreciated!

This isn't really an Excel question.

If the csv file doesn't have any commas in it there should be no problem
in just renaming the file to txt. csv, of course, stands for comma
separated values.

Not sure what happens if you've got commas in those alphanumeric
characters, but you're going to test or have tested that possibility.

If it's really job critical, I'd say use the open, save as approach to
cya. <g>

Bill
From: Pete_UK on
Changing the filename and extension will not change the contents of
the file if you are doing this in Windows Explorer. However, you must
set the option in WE to display file extensions, otherwise your users
will not be able to see them (and so could not change them).

Hope this helps.

Pete