From: rjf2 on
> From: Bill H.
> Just switched groups to an X-windows UNIX environment where
> several SAS programmers share the same username/password to
> one server so that when I fire up SAS I get the message "all
> registry and profile changes will be lost". I'm coming from
> a PC SAS environment. I checked with our systems admin if he
> could set the file sharing so I could use my individual
> account. He declined for security reasons. Not my place to
> question the security of sharing username/ password. :)

Frankly, I am appalled!

> Anyway, I'm not clear what types of changes get saved in
> SASUSER.REGSTRY and which in SASUSER.PROFILE, eg. custom key
> settings and fonts. I started browsing PROC REGISTRY and it
> looks like there is an import, export option.
> Presumably, I could export my custom WORK.REGSTRY settings
> and then import them at the beginning of each session. I'm a
> little unclear on the import because the v9 documentation
> says SASUSER.REGSTRY will not be overwritten but it will be "updated"
> with any changes from the imported file. This makes me a
> little uncomfortable because on the off chance I am the first
> one logged in, any changes will be made to SASUSER.REGSTRY,
> which the other programmers might not appreciate.
>
> Alternatively, we could have a little SAS programmers meeting
> and come to agreement on common settings. Hmmmm. Or just
> lobby the system admin to let us use individual accounts.
> Hmmmm. Being new to the group, I'm not inclined to go those
> routes. :)
>
> Any advice, documentation to read? Bill H, Wash U, St Louis

Just yesterday I had to have SAS v9.1.3 reinstalled
and was confounded by the missing registry file.

after some by-guess-and-by-golly file searching I found
the registry file SASREG.S7R in the

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

folder, which I by-guess-and-by-golly copied into:

C:\Documents and Settings\rjf2\Application Data\SAS\SASREG.S7R

which got rid of my error/warning message! :-)

If you want to build your own registry file find:

C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS 9.1\SASSETUP.LOG

and search for

PROC Registry

in the last five screens of the file

Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov
From: Richard A. DeVenezia on
"Bill H." wrote:
> Just switched groups to an X-windows UNIX
> environment where several SAS programmers share
> the same username/password to one server so that
> when I fire up SAS I get the message "all
> registry and profile changes will be lost". I'm
> coming from a PC SAS environment. I checked with
> our systems admin if he could set the file
> sharing so I could use my individual account. He
> declined for security reasons. Not my place to
> question the security of sharing username/
> password. :)

Despite sharing u/p (bad practice) you can specify your own sasuser on the
SAS startup.

in your sas session submit

X mkdir ~/billh;
X mkdir ~/billh/sasuser;

shutdown sas.

In your SAS startup (you didn't mentioned how you fire up SAS) command, use

sas -sasuser ~/billh/sasuser

Voila!

If you run SAS off a shared startup script/icon things are a little
trickier, but no unsurmountable.

If it works you can try transferring your 'PC' sasuser files to your
~/billh/sasuser using ftp.

--
Richard A. DeVenezia
http://www.devenezia.com/

From: Randy Herbison on
Bill,

Try setting the sasuser system option on the SAS command.

You may be able to use some of the PC-based SAS registry and
sasuser.profile entries, but you should follow the documented procedures
for creating and importing portable files. See the doc for exporting
and importing SAS registry files and the PROC CPORT/CIMPORT procedures
for exporting/importing SAS catalogs (sasusr.profile for saved user
preferences).

-Randy

From: Bill Howells on
Thanks. I probably did more than is necessary but I copied the main
sasv9.cfg file to my personal dir, renamed it myconfig.cfg, edited the
sasuser option to point to my dir, created my own autoexec.sas in my dir,
then start SAS with

sas -config myconfig.cfg -autoexec myauto.cfg

and sas created profile, registry, and USERPREFS files in my dir. My
appreciation for SAS has grown!

Now if I can just figure out how to map the "end" key to actually go to
the end of the line in pgm rather than submit a job. There is no "end"
key in the DMKEYS file.
From: rjf2 on
> From: Bill Howells

> Thanks. I probably did more than is necessary but I copied
> the main sasv9.cfg file to my personal dir, renamed it
> myconfig.cfg, edited the sasuser option to point to my dir,
> created my own autoexec.sas in my dir,

Bravo!
your take charge attitude of your invocation is commendable!

> then start SAS with
> sas -config myconfig.cfg -autoexec myauto.cfg

YeahBut
I suggest you change the extension of your autoexec file
from .cfg to .sas.

reason: the syntax of .cfg statements is way different than .sas

fyi:
if you have a
what's-the-unix-equivalent-of
Windoze batch file for starting sas
you can dispense with the custom .cfg and autoexec names

reason: SAS will find and process, when present
SASv9.cfg
and
autoexec.sas

in order to check your processing using this invocation

sas autoexecTest -echoauto -verbose -linesize max -pagesize max

where autoexecTest.sas is:
proc setinit;run;
%put _automatic_;

Ron Fehd the KaiZen!
or macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov