From: yawnmoth on
I was trying to change the background image of a particular folder as
described at <http://perishablepress.com/press/2006/10/16/folder-
background-images-in-winxp/>, however, I am unable to do so. The URL
discusses a file - desktop.ini. I was under the impression that this
file would be hidden while "Hide protected operating system files
(Recommended)" was checked but that does not appear to be the case for
me - I can see it regardless of whether or not that setting is
selected.

"%HOME%\My Documents\My Pictures" has a desktop.ini file that doesn't
appear when "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is
selected. If I copy that file to another folder of my own creation,
however, it appears regardless of "Hide protected operating system
files (Recommended)". Also, the folders appearance isn't changing as
I would have expected it to.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
From: yawnmoth on
On Dec 14, 2:51 pm, yawnmoth <terra1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was trying to change the background image of a particular folder as
> described at <http://perishablepress.com/press/2006/10/16/folder-
> background-images-in-winxp/>, however, I am unable to do so.  The URL
> discusses a file - desktop.ini.  I was under the impression that this
> file would be hidden while "Hide protected operating system files
> (Recommended)" was checked but that does not appear to be the case for
> me - I can see it regardless of whether or not that setting is
> selected.
>
> "%HOME%\My Documents\My Pictures" has a desktop.ini file that doesn't
> appear when "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is
> selected. If I copy that file to another folder of my own creation,
> however, it appears regardless of "Hide protected operating system
> files (Recommended)".  Also, the folders appearance isn't changing as
> I would have expected it to.
>
> Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Actually, never mind - I figured it out - I needed to do "attrib +s"
on the folder in question, per this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144102%28VS.85%29.aspx