From: yawnmoth on
Going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
will bring up the same window that typine "compmgmt.msc" in the
"Run..." dialog will bring up. My question is, what about for the
other things in the control panel? How does one go about finding what
programs those correspond to?
From: John Wunderlich on
yawnmoth <terra1024(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> Going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
> Management will bring up the same window that typine
> "compmgmt.msc" in the "Run..." dialog will bring up. My question
> is, what about for the other things in the control panel? How
> does one go about finding what programs those correspond to?

One way:

In the Control Panel, Right-click on the item you're interested in.
If one of the selections in the pop-up window is "Properties", then
select that. The file that will start that item will be in the
"Target" window.

If "Properties" is not a choice (e.g. "Keyboard"), then select
"Create Shortcut" instead and allow it to create a shortcut on your
desktop. Then start up Notepad and then File->Open. In the "Files of
Type" box select "All files". Then find the shortcut on the desktop
(e.g. "Keyboard.lnk") and open it. There will be a lot of binary
garbage in the window but you should see a path as well
(e.g. "C:\WINDOWS\system32\main.cpl). This will be what you can type
in the "Start->Run" window (e.g. "main.cpl") to start this control
panel.

HTH,
John