From: trey.chastain on
I have searched the archives and found many similar problems but I
can't seem to resolve my issue through them.

When I run something like '/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m &' I get the
message
... [ID 702911 mail.alert] daemon MTA-IPv4: Problem creating SMTP
socket
(repeated several times)
..... [ID 801593 mail.alert] NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
daemon MTA-IPv4: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting

I am running on solaris :( if it makes a difference.
From: Grant Taylor on
On 07/02/08 14:12, trey.chastain(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> When I run something like '/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m &' I get the
> message
> ... [ID 702911 mail.alert] daemon MTA-IPv4: Problem creating SMTP
> socket
> (repeated several times)
> .... [ID 801593 mail.alert] NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
> daemon MTA-IPv4: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting
>
> I am running on solaris :( if it makes a difference.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like something else is using / listening on
the socket which is preventing Sendmail from doing so.

Try doing a netstat to see if something else is using the socket.

Grant. . . .

From: Per Hedeland on
In article
<725a1bd4-981c-457e-be31-86e54e7ee27d(a)m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>
trey.chastain(a)yahoo.com writes:
>On Jul 3, 7:36�am, Tilman Schmidt <ts-usenet0...(a)pxnet.com> wrote:
>>
>> This isn't enough. You need to run netstat with the -a option so
>> that it shows sockets in listening state, too.
>> Personally I would specify -n, too, as I find port numbers much
>> more readable than port names.
>> On Linux, you could use -t to limit the output to TCP ports (omit
>> the "UNIX domain sockets" part which isn't interesting here), but
>> I don't know if Solaris supports that.
>> And finally, the -p option shows the process ID using each socket
>> which might be quite useful, too, but that may also be a Linuxism.

>Ok, here is what I found out from using netstat -a -n -p (-t was not
>available on solaris)

As Tilman explained, -p for process ID may be a Linuxism (and it is) -
you need to read your OS documentation and not just try things blindly.
The Solaris netstat man page says:

-p Show the net to media tables. See
DISPLAYS, below.

- which is completely irrelevant here. To save you some time, try:

netstat -an -f inet -P tcp

But it will only tell you what you've already been told, that something
else is listening on port 25. There's no simple, OS-independant way to
find out exactly which process it is - but if you have or install the
'lsof' program, you can run 'lsof -i tcp:25' to find out. Otherwise
check 'ps' output and/or /etc/inetd.conf.

--Per Hedeland
per(a)hedeland.org
From: Tilman Schmidt on
trey.chastain(a)yahoo.com schrieb:
> Ok, so I found out that I have three different things listening on
> port 25.

I'd guess they are really the same, another MTA already running, and
just generating three lines in netstat output.

> What I don't know is how to determine what they are and how
> to (safely) change them (I assume that is possible).

Perhaps it's just that your Sendmail daemon has already been started?

> Sorry that I am
> not being helpful, I am trying but I am new at this so it is
> definitely a learning process. Thanks again.

Ok, let's try it step by step then:

-> Run "/etc/init.d/sendmail stop". Paste the output here.

-> Run "netstat -an -f inet -P tcp" again to see if whatever has been
listening on port 25 is gone now. If so, it was indeed just your
regular Sendmail daemon which was already running.

-> If port 25 is still in listening state, run "lsof -i :25" on the
off-chance that someone has already installed that very useful
tool on your server. Paste the output here.

-> If that only says "command not found", run "ps ax". Look in the
resulting output for anything called "sendmail". Also check each
running process to see whether you know what it is doing, and
whether it should be running at all. Paste the output here if you
are unsure.

HTH
T.

--
Please excuse my bad English/German/French/Greek/Cantonese/Klingon/...
From: trey.chastain on
On Jul 3, 12:30 pm, Tilman Schmidt <ts-usenet0...(a)pxnet.com> wrote:
> trey.chast...(a)yahoo.com schrieb:
>
> > Ok, so I found out that I have three different things listening on
> > port 25.
>
> I'd guess they are really the same, another MTA already running, and
> just generating three lines in netstat output.
>
> > What I don't know is how to determine what they are and how
> > to (safely) change them (I assume that is possible).
>
> Perhaps it's just that your Sendmail daemon has already been started?
>
> > Sorry that I am
> > not being helpful, I am trying but I am new at this so it is
> > definitely a learning process.  Thanks again.
>
> Ok, let's try it step by step then:
>
> -> Run "/etc/init.d/sendmail stop". Paste the output here.

I ran '/etc/init.d/sendmail stop' and received no output.

> -> Run "netstat -an -f inet -P tcp" again to see if whatever has been
>     listening on port 25 is gone now. If so, it was indeed just your
>     regular Sendmail daemon which was already running.

typing netstat -an -f inet -P tcp gives me 2 processes listening on *.
25
typing netstat -an | grep \.25 gives me the same 3 process as before
(no change)

attempting to stop sendmail multiple times doesn't seem to change
anything and I still receive no output.

> -> If port 25 is still in listening state, run "lsof -i :25" on the
>     off-chance that someone has already installed that very useful
>     tool on your server. Paste the output here.

No, it has not been installed, I will see if I can figure out how to
install/configure it now.

> -> If that only says "command not found", run "ps ax". Look in the
>     resulting output for anything called "sendmail". Also check each
>     running process to see whether you know what it is doing, and
>     whether it should be running at all. Paste the output here if you
>     are unsure.

running ps ax just makes it show me the usage (there is no x
option).
running ps -a gives me:

PID TTY Time CMD
15722 pts/2 0:00 ps

ps -e (which lists information about every process, this is how I
found sendmail) shows:
PID TTY TIME CMD
0 ? 0:10 sched
1 ? 0:37 init
2 ? 0:03 pageout
3 ? 144:59 fsflush
221 ? 0:00 keyserv
7 ? 1:24 svc.star
9 ? 2:27 svc.conf
223 ? 0:02 sac
318 ? 7:16 xntpd
231 ? 0:00 lockd
227 ? 0:00 ypbind
287 ? 0:00 smcboot
355 ? 0:00 automoun
356 ? 0:00 automoun
244 ? 0:00 dmispd
281 ? 0:00 cron
139 ? 5:41 nscd
208 ? 0:01 rpcbind
427 ? 0:00 vold
120 ? 0:00 sysevent
218 ? 0:00 statd
122 ? 0:00 picld
140 ? 0:08 kcfd
143 ? 0:00 powerd
20247 ? 0:00 httpd
240 ? 0:00 ttymon
245 console 0:00 ttymon
285 ? 0:00 smcboot
256 ? 0:19 utmpd
290 ? 0:00 smcboot
409 ? 0:02 sshd
11688 ? 0:00 dtlogin
275 ? 0:00 nfs4cbd
276 ? 0:15 nfsmapid
277 ? 1:36 inetd
455 ? 0:00 devfsadm
8992 ? 0:07 sshd
396 ? 1:19 fmd
377 ? 0:07 syslogd
11699 ? 5:31 dtgreet
591 ?? 0:00 fbconsol
11664 ? 5:35 Xsun
715 ? 138:59 java
1148 ? 0:00 rpc-ttdb
9012 ? 0:17 httpd
530 ? 0:00 dtlogin
587 ? 63:05 java
1158 ? 0:00 rpc.ttdb
8993 ?? 0:05 xterm
20249 ? 0:13 httpd
1219 ? 0:00 mysqld_s
1238 ? 121:18 mysqld
1213 ? 6:33 httpd
15450 ? 0:01 httpd
9013 ? 0:17 httpd
12844 ? 0:01 xfs
9014 ? 0:16 httpd
<b>4791 ? 0:03 sendmail</b>
8729 ? 0:24 httpd
20243 ? 0:12 httpd
26706 ? 0:14 httpd
8989 ? 0:00 sshd
8999 pts/2 0:01 bash
15734 pts/2 0:00 ps
20248 ? 0:21 httpd

I realize 90% of that information is probably useless but it only took
a short time to get it and if it helps solve my problem it was well
worth it. I couldn't find any other ps commands that might be useful
in this situation. Thanks for the advice, I hope this helps.

> HTH
> T.
>
> --
> Please excuse my bad English/German/French/Greek/Cantonese/Klingon/...

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: confHELO_NAME
Next: sendmail log question?