From: Rupert Giles on
The feature HeloName is new with 8.14. Is there anyway to configure this in
version 8.13? If not, is there another way to control the host name that v.
8.13 sends with the HELO command? We're running Red Hat Enterprise, and they
are not yet distributing v. 8.14.

From: David F. Skoll on
Res wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Rupert Giles wrote:

>> We're running Red Hat Enterprise, and they are not yet distributing
>> v. 8.14.

> ?? You could have this functionality by upgrading to 8.14.2 in less time
> it took you to type out that request and send it (unless you use slow
> antiquated hardware), let alone waiting for a reply to it.

Some places have a policy of not running non-vendor-supplied versions
of various software. I've never understood the logic behind that, but
I have run up against it many times. :-(

"We trust the Dead-Rat-mangled version of package X much more than
the upstream version!"

Regards,

David.

From: Rupert Giles on
Of course I could install the standard version. It just becomes a support
issue for whomever might be maintaining the server if I leave this site.
Almost anyone can run "Up2Date" on a Redhat system and get the latest
"official" packages from Redhat. However, once a non RPM version of
something like Sendmail is installed, subsequent upgrades must be built and
installed the same way. This is often a challenge for small sites without a
dedicated Unix/Linux administrator.

From: Rupert Giles on

From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
"David F. Skoll" <dfs(a)roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> Res wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Rupert Giles wrote:
>
>>> We're running Red Hat Enterprise, and they are not yet distributing
>>> v. 8.14.
>
>> ?? You could have this functionality by upgrading to 8.14.2 in less time
>> it took you to type out that request and send it (unless you use slow
>> antiquated hardware), let alone waiting for a reply to it.
>
> Some places have a policy of not running non-vendor-supplied versions
> of various software. I've never understood the logic behind that, but
> I have run up against it many times. :-(
>
> "We trust the Dead-Rat-mangled version of package X much more than
> the upstream version!"

I personally prefer such approach except 1-3 of the most important packages.
* It simplifies maintenance
(*SINGLE* procedure for keeping *ALL* packages/software up to date)
* It reduces maintenance risks
(e.g. risk of "forgetting" to update)

Their set of preferences is different than yours.

-- Albert Einstein

P.S.
Do not ask about what I do on my *personal* system ;-)

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)priv.onet.pl : anfi(a)xl.wp.pl
- DDD no longer requires the librx library. Consequently, librx