From: David F. Skoll on
Rupert Giles wrote:

> Of course I could install the standard version. It just becomes a support
> issue for whomever might be maintaining the server if I leave this site.

It's not that bad. I have a script that I just point at the Sendmail
tarball and it builds/installs the new version. I had to tweak the script
from 8.13 to 8.14, but within a major release, it generally works unchanged.

If you're really ambitious, you can even make your own RPMs. If
you're extremely ambitious, you can set up a site-wide repository for
your own RPMs. Alternatively, there may be a Red Hat equivalent of Debian's
backports that has RPMs of newer versions of Sendmail.

It is a fair bit of work, but it can be worth it in the long run.

Regards,

David.
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
"Rupert Giles" <giles02134(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> The feature HeloName is new with 8.14. Is there anyway to configure this in
> version 8.13? If not, is there another way to control the host name that v.
> 8.13 sends with the HELO command? We're running Red Hat Enterprise, and they
> are not yet distributing v. 8.14.

You can change "this host email name" ($j).

URL(s):
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/whoami.html

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)priv.onet.pl : anfi(a)xl.wp.pl
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about,
From: Tilman Schmidt on
Res schrieb:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Rupert Giles wrote:
>
>> The feature HeloName is new with 8.14. Is there anyway to configure this in
>> version 8.13? If not, is there another way to control the host name that v.
>> 8.13 sends with the HELO command? We're running Red Hat Enterprise, and they
>> are not yet distributing v. 8.14.
>
> ?? You could have this functionality by upgrading to 8.14.2 in less time
> it took you to type out that request and send it (unless you use slow
> antiquated hardware), let alone waiting for a reply to it.

Wow, you can download, read the release notes, compile, schedule a downtime,
check/adapt the old configuration, make an out-of-cycle backup, install and
regression test a package like Sendmail in less than fifteen minutes?
Impressive.

SCNR
T.

--
Please excuse my bad English/German/French/Greek/Cantonese/Klingon/...