From: Matthew on
I have a file (time.txt) of dates & times (looks like this):

01-Jan-09 722
02-Jan-09 723
03-Jan-09 723
04-Jan-09 723
05-Jan-09 723
06-Jan-09 723
07-Jan-09 723
08-Jan-09 723
09-Jan-09 723
10-Jan-09 723
11-Jan-09 723
12-Jan-09 723
13-Jan-09 723
14-Jan-09 723
15-Jan-09 722
16-Jan-09 722
17-Jan-09 722
18-Jan-09 722
19-Jan-09 721

Where it is DD-MMM-YY HMM
day-Month-Year Hour-Minutes

I need to load and convert (datenum)

But I'm having a hard time getting the file loaded/imported.

Any advice to save my sanity?

Thanks,
Matt
From: Robert on
"Matthew " <marsenaultremove.this(a)usgs.gov> wrote in message <i3vm6a$gf$1(a)fred.mathworks.com>...
> I have a file (time.txt) of dates & times (looks like this):
>
> 01-Jan-09 722
> 02-Jan-09 723
> 03-Jan-09 723
> 04-Jan-09 723
> 05-Jan-09 723
> 06-Jan-09 723
> 07-Jan-09 723
> 08-Jan-09 723
> 09-Jan-09 723
> 10-Jan-09 723
> 11-Jan-09 723
> 12-Jan-09 723
> 13-Jan-09 723
> 14-Jan-09 723
> 15-Jan-09 722
> 16-Jan-09 722
> 17-Jan-09 722
> 18-Jan-09 722
> 19-Jan-09 721
>

> Where it is DD-MMM-YY HMM
> day-Month-Year Hour-Minutes
>
> I need to load and convert (datenum)
>
> But I'm having a hard time getting the file loaded/imported.
>
> Any advice to save my sanity?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

you can use textscan to read the lines without a loop, and then convert your strings to numeric datetime format with datenum. before you convert you presumably would have to fix the hour to two digits with leading 0 where there's only one. after that a format string like 'dd-mmm-yy HHMM' would make datenum convert your data.

Cheers,

Robert