From: member2010 on
Hi All,

Can somebody explain me the advantages of using data step over proc
sql in SAS?

thank you
From: Al on
On Jul 2, 11:36 am, member2010 <nagasri.naga...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can somebody explain me the advantages of using data step over proc
> sql in SAS?
>
> thank you

Here is the excellent paper on differences between Sql and Datastep!

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/library/nesug99/ad121.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks
Al
From: Tom Abernathy on
On Jul 2, 12:36 pm, member2010 <nagasri.naga...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can somebody explain me the advantages of using data step over proc
> sql in SAS?
>
> thank you

It really depends what you want to do.
You cannot create multiple output datasets, read data in from text
files, write data to text files, build hash objects or use dozens of
other features of the SAS programming language in PROC SQL.
From: Arthur Tabachneck on
I agree with Tom but, at the same time, slightly disagree. This topic
was just sort of addressed on the listserv side of SAS-l (see:
http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1007a&L=sas-l&D=1&O=D&P=12516
).

Since my job requires me to manage SAS programmers and statisticians,
I'm concerned not only with what works best but, at the same time,
with what my staff understand. Sometimes that translates into what
must the staff learn but, at the same time, the question of whether
they can continue to do their job (while learning) is even more
important.

Can we all be expected to know everything about SAS NOW? I don't
think that could ever be a reasonable proposition!

Dependent upon the problem, such SAS modules, functions or
capabilities like datastep merges, enterprise miner, iml, sql, hash,
dow loops (and many, many others) may provide the optimal solution.
Which one should one use, though, I think is dependent upon other
factors (like how long will it take before everyone understands what
they are expected to know).

Art