From: Michael Adams on
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:39:49 +0000
jonathon.blake(a)gmail.com wrote:

<snip>

> Other than miscalculating the date of Easter, it works correctly with
> both the standard Julian Calender, and standard Gregorian Calender.
> [I'd file an issue here, but it gets into theology, and the feast of
> the Apostles.

What feast of the apostles? Easter is pagan based. It is the first
Sunday following the full moon, following the autumn equinox. If OO.o
can calculate full moons, please tell me how.

--
Michael
Those that can, do; those that can't, teach.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: "Tomas Lanczos" on
> From: Michael Adams [mailto:mbadams(a)paradise.net.nz]
>
> <snip>

[del]

> --
> Michael
> Those that can, do; those that can't, teach.

.... and those that can't teach are the managers :-)

sorry for that :-)))

Have a nice day

Tomas

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: "Jonathon Blake" on
Michael wrote:

> What feast of the apostles? Easter is pagan based. It is the first
> Sunday following the full moon, following the autumn equinox. If OO.o
> can calculate full moons, please tell me how.

Answered on social, since it is completely off topic for this list.

xan

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.
Corrupt conduct is a virtue.

Motto of Nacarima.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: =?iso-8859-15?Q?Lars_D=2E_Nood=E9n?= on
---745682430-1804568608-1161765594=:9354

Calculating holidays (e.g. Easter, Passover, Ramadan, J-dagen) would be a=
=20
useful function to have in Calc. Maybe CPAN's Date::calc could be used as=
=20
a base and when the function eastersunday() is fixed, there can be=20
others.

-Lars

Lars Nood=E9n (larsnooden(a)openoffice.org)
=09OpenOffice.org: Now ISO 26300 Standards Compliant !

From: "Jonathon Blake" on
Lars wrote:

> Calculating holidays (e.g. Easter, Passover, Ramadan, J-dagen) would be a
> useful function to have in Calc. Maybe CPAN's Date::calc could be used as

OOo 1.1.5 can calculate Easter correctly for the Gegorian Calender
using the rule set of the Anglican Church. That formula is incorrect
when the Julian calender is used, or when one uses one of the ten or
so other rule sets for calculating Easter.

The formula for calculating Passover, using the rule set for
Rabbinical Judaism is relatively simple. {Once you get the monads
correct.] Calculating Passover using either the Karaite Rule set or
Samaritan Rule set is going to be, at best, a rough guestimate.

There are two different rule sets for calculating when Ramadan occurs.
Only one of them can be reduced to a formula that will work in OOo.
[There is no known formula that can have the visible new moon sighted,
before the astronomical new moon occurs. Yet that is what the rule
set used by a very influential Muslim country permits.]

It would be time consuming, but fairly simple to write a macro for
each of the rule sets for Easter, Passover, and the rest of the
religious Holy Days that change dates every year.
[Do one macro for each rule set, for each event, or one macro per
event, with the user having to select which rule set to use.]

xan

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.
Corrupt conduct is a virtue.

Motto of Nacarima

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org