From: Andrew Story on
I run dcdiag daily on all our DC's, but keep seeing this on two of our DC's,
both are on seperate sites.

Starting test: frssysvol
* The File Replication Service Event log test
Error: No record of File Replication System, SYSVOL started.
The Active Directory may be prevented from starting.
......................... SITEADS01 passed test frssysvol

* The File Replication Service Event log test
The SYSVOL has been shared, and the AD is no longer
prevented from starting by the File Replication Service.
There are errors after the SYSVOL has been shared.
The SYSVOL can prevent the AD from starting.
An Warning Event occured. EventID: 0x800034C4
Time Generated: 05/03/2006 03:19:53

The sysvol is shared in the DC''s in question and can be reached via
browsing etc.

Would anyone know why these errors appear?

From: Jorge Silva on
Hi

This events are shown generaly at system startup, sometimes when the system
is booting the frs isn't started so shows up the 1st message, then after the
frs has started then shows you the second message telling you that the frs
already started etc...

--
I hop that helps

Good Luck
Jorge Silva
MCSA
Systems Administrator

From: Andrew Story on
Thanks for the reply Jorge,

So dcdiag would display these messages, even if the DC hasn't been rebooted
in a while?

I just want to be sure that I'm not going to face any issues relating to the
output from dcdiag.

Thanks again.

From: Jorge Silva on
Hi

If the FRS already started and you have FRS related errors then something is
wrong...
Generally this relates to bad Dns configuration.

From: Andrew Story on
Hmmm

Just installed a new DC and get these now from dcdiag (on the new DC)

Starting test: RidManager
Warning: attribute rIdSetReferences missing from
CN=UKSCRWADS01,OU=Doma
in Controllers,DC=jw-uk,DC=jameswalker,DC=co,DC=uk
Could not get Rid set Reference :failed with 8481: The search
failed to
retrieve attributes from the database.
......................... UKSCRWADS01 failed test RidManager

Aloong with these with lots of SAM event ID:16650:

The account-identifier allocator failed to initialize properly. The record
data contains the NT error code that caused the failure. Windows 2000 will
retry the initialization until it succeeds; until that time, account
creation will be denied on this Domain Controller. Please look for other
SAM event logs that may indicate the exact reason for the failure.

And this from netdiag:
LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for
'HOST/ukscrwads01.jw-uk.jameswalk
er.co.uk' is missing on DC 'UKSCCMADS01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for 'HOST/UKSCRWADS01' is missing
on
DC 'UKSCCMADS01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for
'HOST/ukscrwads01.jw-uk.jameswalk
er.co.uk' is missing on DC 'uksccmads02.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for 'HOST/UKSCRWADS01' is missing
on
DC 'uksccmads02.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for
'HOST/ukscrwads01.jw-uk.jameswalk
er.co.uk' is missing on DC 'uksbngads01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for 'HOST/UKSCRWADS01' is missing
on
DC 'uksbngads01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for
'HOST/ukscrwads01.jw-uk.jameswalk
er.co.uk' is missing on DC 'nlsoblads01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for 'HOST/UKSCRWADS01' is missing
on
DC 'nlsoblads01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for
'HOST/ukscrwads01.jw-uk.jameswalk
er.co.uk' is missing on DC 'ukshydfile01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.
[WARNING] The default SPN registration for 'HOST/UKSCRWADS01' is missing
on
DC 'ukshydfile01.jw-uk.jameswalker.co.uk'.

Not looking good to me, any ideas chaps, it';s a brand new build and just
been promoted.