From: BertramWilberforceWooster on
Hi,

I am having trouble with Active Directory and DNS on a new Windows 2003
box. The default entries (_ldap etc.) which are usually created by
netlogon are not there, nor can I manage to create them. I have tried
creating the forward zone from scratch, however I am not able to.

When I try to create a new forward zone, I get the message:

"The zone cannot be replicated to all DNS servers in the (null) Active
Directory domain because the required application directory partition
does not exist. Only Enterprise Administrators have the appropriate
permissions to create an application directory partition."

As I'm logged on as Administrator, which is in the Enterprise Admins
group, this is somewhat worrying!

The message goes on to advise me to try using "Replicate to All Domain
Controllers in the Active Directory Domain" option. When I do this I
get:

"The zone can not be created - The data is invalid"

netdiag /fix gives the following output:

<snip>

DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for
the name
'dbsvr.domain.net.'. [ERROR_TIMEOUT]
The name 'dbsvr.domain.net.' may not be registered in DNS.
[WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for
the name
'dbsvr.domain.net.'. [ERROR_TIMEOUT]
The name 'dbsvr.domain.net.' may not be registered in DNS.
[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry domain.net. re-registeration on
DNS server '100.200.52.145' failed.
DNS Error code: 0x00002339
[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry _ldap._tcp.domain.net.
re-registeration on DNS server '100.200.52.145' failed.
DNS Error code: 0x00002339
[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry
_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.domain.net. re-registeration
on DNS server '100.200.52.145' failed.
DNS Error code: 0x00002339
[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry
_ldap._tcp.ec198d88-e0cb-4344-8703-b17839ed5ebd.domains._msdcs.domain.net.
re-registeration on DNS server '100.200.52.145' failed.
DNS Error code: 0x00002339
[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry
1750286d-b0a6-4633-a9d0-63967c9a5fcb._msdcs.domain.net.
re-registeration on DNS server '100.200.52.145' failed.
DNS Error code: 0x00002339
[FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry
_kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain.net. re-registeration on DNS server
'100.200.52.145' failed.

<snip>

Does anyone know what steps I can take to get me back on my feet with
regards to DNS? Just let me know if you want the output from any more
commands.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this lack of DNS is causing me all sorts
of problems with AD, so any advice you can give will be immensely
appreciated!

Thanks,

Berty

(I'm afraid I've also posted this in .sbs, as I wasn't sure which was
the best location)

From: strongline on
try to create non-ad-integrated zones to see if that makes your DNS
work first. then you can work on other issues.

From: Jorge Silva on
Hi

Follow this steps:

- Point the DNS properties of Dc to the root Dc.

- Type on cmd prompt
dnscmd /clearcache press enter
ipconfig /flushdns press enter

- Go to c:\windows\system32\config and delete the netlogon.dns and the
netlogon.dnb files.

- Create the Dns Zone (At this point no error is shown)

- Point the DNS properties of Dc to itself (Make sure that the server is
cable of resolving the root domain through Forward zones or stub Zones or
Secondary zones)

- Type on cmd prompt
ipconfig /registerdns

- Type - net stop netlogon & net start netlogon (confirm the creation of the
netlogon.dns and the netlogon.dnb files on c:\windows\system32\config )

- Type - Netdiag /fix

- Test replication.

It should be fine now.

--
I hop that helps

Good Luck
Jorge Silva
MCSA
Systems Administrator

From: Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] on
Do the default DNS application partitions exist on the DC/DNS server or at
all?
under the ZONE domain.net you should see a subdomain called "DomainDNSZones"
and "ForestDNSZones".
Yes or no?
I no.. then -->
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47199/47199.html

if the DNS app. partition does not exist on that particular DC/DNS server
but it does on others, check if replication is working.

if it does not exist (for some reason) on all DC/DNS servers then recreate
it.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/c2d2fcbd-c859-493e-a4fc-aef57a880db11033.mspx

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!

From: Bertram on
Hi,

Thank you all for your responses.

strongline - I was able to create the DNS zone, but I got the same
error message when I tried to convert the zone to AD-integrated.

Jorges Silva - I followed the recommended steps, however I got the same
error message when I tried to recreate the zone (step four).

Jorges de Almeida Pinto - This is the only DC in the domain, and the
zone does not exist at all. I am currently following the steps in the
windowsitpro.com article - if this meets with no success I shall try
the technet article.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.