From: strongline on
sorry my bad, didn't realize that he could have multiple domains.

From: Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] on
yes, true...

I'm just checking, as the possibility is there he could have had another DC
which was the owner of the FSMOs and that DC has been pulled out the AD

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!

From: Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] on
what i'm doing is checking any assumption before believing it...

From: Jorge Silva on
Hi

hum... this is strange....

Only one Dc?

Please Try the following steps:

- Make sure that the Dns Settings of the Dc has the IPAddress of the Dc ->
Right Click My Network places choose properties -> Right click local area
connection choose properties -Select TCPIP and choose properties -> Make
sure that in Preferred DNS server you have the Same IP that you have in IP
Address.

- Uninstall Dns - Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Painel -> Add remove
Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components -> Select Networking Services ->
Choose details -> Unselect Dns -> click Ok -> then Next -> next...

- Go to c:\windows\system32\config and delete the netlogon.dns and the
netlogon.dnb files.

- Go to c:\windows\system32\config and delete the Dns Folder.

- Install Dns - Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Painel -> Add remove
Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components -> Select Networking Services ->
Choose details -> Select Dns -> click Ok -> then Next -> next...

- Create Dns Zone - Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Painel -> open DNS
console -> create the zone.

- go to the command prompt

- type in the following order:

ipconfig /registerdns (press enter)
net stop netlogon & net start netlogon (press enter confirm the creation
of the netlogon.dns and the netlogon.dnb files on
c:\windows\system32\config )
Netdiag /fix

It should be fine now.

- After this if you still having problems please post the results here for:
netdiag /q

--
I hop that helps

Good Luck
Jorge Silva
MCSA
Systems Administrator

From: Bertram on
Hi guys,

This is indeed the only DC in the domain. There was another DC, which
have since been removed. FSMO roles were transferred successfully
before the old server was removed. netdom query fsmo confirms that this
server is holding all five roles - let me know if you want me to post
the output for your verification.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling DNS, however I did not
delete netlogon.dns and dns/, so I'll try that now.

Not sure if it's relevant, but now the server keeps shutting down every
hour as it seems to think it is not licensed!

Also, I think this is somewhere near the root of the problem:

When I try to recreate the active directory partition (using ntdsutil)
I am told that I do not have permission to do so, even when I'm logged
on as administrator. I added my personal account to enterprise admins
and had the same problem. Any advice?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me!

Berty